Roughing it.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So does anyone actually rough it? Meaning go on overnight hikes with just a backpack, a little food, and water. Having to make your own shelter, primitive means of making fire, etc....Like Dual Survival, or Man Woman Wild.

Just curious. My oldest son and I are wanting to give it a whirl. I've been really looking at getting a .44 magnum or .357 before hand though.

If any of you do, where do you go?

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have done it a few times. I went down to the witchitas with the boy scouts in December and did winter survival. We had what we could pack in a backpack minus a tent. For shelter, we had tarp, rope, and whatever we could scrounge up. We did a 4 day thing. We did cheat a little and bring in eggs and meat though since we couldn't hunt.

I've also done survival camping up in wyoming and actually did hunting to survive along with the things we could bring in.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do some backpacking but I've never gone as far as to make my own shelter or trap my own food. I take a small tent, sleeping bag if it's cold enough, a little food, and a water filter. There's some pretty good stretches on the Ouachita trail or the Ozark Highland Trail. This time of year I think there's more water on the Ozark Highland than the Ouachita and you have to worry about it being hunting season in both areas. I did some geocaching with the family on a little of the Ozark Highland last weekend but didn't go too far, lots of hunters in the woods right now.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We did several times with our boy scout troop, had to make our own shelter and beds. It was really warmer than most tents and sleeping bags. LOL Its fun, just take some food and water to wash your pits and your good to go.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Backpacking with a small tent. As far as the making shelter thing, did it a lot as a scout and in the .mil....so my philosophy now is the old saying: "You don't have to eat S*** to know what it tastes like." Or I guess that would be modified to "Once you have eaten enough s***, you don't have to keep eating it to remember what it tastes like."

Last edited:

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Backpacking with a small tent. As far as the making shelter thing, did it a lot as a scout and in the .mil....so my philosophy now is the old saying: "You don't have to eat S*** to know what it tastes like." Or I guess that would be modified to "Once you eaten enough s***, you don't have to keep eating it to remember what it tastes like."

:pms2: Exactly!

Latest posts

Top Bottom