Ruger American Rimfire (22lr) Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a RAR in 22lr yesterday, and figured I'd let ya'll know what I thought about it. There are a few reviews out there already that detail all the special features, so this is just a short and subjective review. I don't own any other rimfire bolt guns, so I can't do much in the way of comparison.

I've only put about 120 rounds downrange, but so far I love this little gun. This morning I installed a Weaver 1-3x20 using some cheap Weaver tip-off rings and took 5 shots to get it zeroed. I shot several 10 shot groups using both Mini-Mag and Centurion 40gr, and was very impressed. Surprisingly, the Centurion seemed to group a little more consistently, and at 20 yards I could cover 10 shots with a dime.

Out of the box, the bolt felt a little tight, and chambering a round took a little more force than I anticipated. By the time I finished up, it had smoothed out considerably. The trigger broke at 4.5# originally, and it took me 2 minutes to adjust it down to about 3.25#. Since the tip-off rings set so low, I thought the straight stock would be okay, but it turns out that the high comb made a big difference. Ruger really did good on that one. Fit and finish is good, and the rifle just feels solid although it's not heavy.

While flipping through the manual, I did notice two interesting things. There's a section covering how to care for stainless steel as well as mention of .17HMR, which leads me to believe these will both be options in the future.

Like I said before, I love this gun! For $250, and the ability to use 10/22 mags, I don't think you can beat it. I'm already planning on getting the .22mag version, but may hold out and see if Ruger releases a .17HMR.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Waiting on a threaded barrel version. It's for the cans, of course. :)

Glad you like it and I hope that it provides you many years of inexpensive enjoyment.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked some different sites last night, looking for more info on the RAR. Found a quick trigger job that made a huge improvement. All you do is pull the trigger pivot pin and remove the adjustment spring. This spring is very stout, and even with the adjustment screw backed all the way out the trigger was still 3.5#. Without the spring, pull dropped to a crisp 1.5#. I usually wouldn't go so low, but it works well with the Glock-style trigger safety and the tang safety.

Disclaimer: let a gunsmith do it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom