1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Ruger Deerstalker

Discussion in 'Rifle & Shotgun Discussion' started by surjimmy, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Sampson

Sampson Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’ve got the 96/44 and love it, Such a fun gun to shoot and carry. I’ve popped a pig with it but it really needs a deer kill. I took the gun in on trade and went with the previous owner to shoot a couple of weeks later. After some casual plinking he said he never shot it before and wished he had never got rid of it. One of the best trades I’ve ever made.

KurtM likes this.
  2. surjimmy

surjimmy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Well, I have a very good friend, who I have known for more years then I care to count. I have never seen him this excited over a gun, and believe me he has had the best. The Deerstalker will be going to him. Thanks for all the stories and input, please don't stop posting and add some pictures.

D. Hargrove, Catt57 and MacFromOK like this.
  3. 1mathom1

1mathom1 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I think I have seen the later model called a Deerfield....that has the Mini-14 type bolt....right?

4. Oklahomabassin

Oklahomabassin Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    That didn't take long.

5. surjimmy

surjimmy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If your referring to my friend, I didn't even get it home. He and I have been friends for over 40yrs, we have traded back and forth for ever. The LW Hi Power I have, I have owned 4 times and him 5, same on a 38 LW Commander 38 Super. There's not a gun I have that's not his, if he wants it, except 1 that my Mom owned.

D. Hargrove and O4L like this.
  6. EKing

EKing Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    According to the 39th Blue Book, the Model 44 Standard Carbine was produced from 1959 to 1985. It is the one that looks just like a 10/22. (Actually the 10/22 looks exactly like the 44 Carbine)
    The Deerstalker was produced in 1962 until Ithaca sued Ruger over the name. Only 3,750 were made. They are pretty valuable.

They dropped the "Deerstalker" name but kept making the rifle exactly the same for another 23 years.
    There were a few variations through the years like a Monte Carlo stocked version, an International version, 25th Anniversary, and others.
    It was dropped in 1985.

In 2000, it was brought back as the 99/44 Deerfield Carbine and discontinued in 2006. This is the one that looks more like a Mini 14. I would love to have one of these. Mine is one of the standard versions.

1mathom1 and D. Hargrove like this.