Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not flaming it, I just don't get it. Those specs perfectly describe an M4 variant.

Still not tracking the usefullness of the Scout concept as it is presented in this Ruger...given today's firearms options.

QUOTE]

Yes, but I didn't list requirement #1 which is the ability to take 400kg targets at 300m. Try that with an m4. You can do it with an AR 10 but you'll never come close to the ideal weight.

Here's a link to the complete requirements for the Scout from some devotees of the concept: http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=24.0

I get what you're saying about the Scout in general, from reading comentary by Cooper I think he got that same question alot. His answer seems to boil down into two parts First is that it's a general purpose rifle. It avoids any specialization and places a heavy emphasis on handiness. Second, it is a RIFLE, which, in his view, is distinctly different from "Battle Carbine's" ie m4, and AK which to him have their own specialized role and too many limitations.

In other words, it's not supposed to be the only GUN you need it's supposed to be the only RIFLE you need.

As for it being a bolt action, this is not one of the "requirements", it is by default all Scouts have been bolt action to keep them somewhere near the ideal weight. Cooper wrote that semi auto's would make perfectly acceptable Scout rifles provided you could get a reliable down around the ideal weight, oh, yeah, and fire a cartridge capable of taking 400kg game at 300meters. Bolt action is not seen as a handicap at all by Cooper. In his perfectionist view the rifleman simply hits with his first shot. In the rare event that the first shot doesn't have the desired effect or there are multiple targets a rifleman should be perfectly capable of cycling the bolt while remaining on target with speed that rivals a semi auto. Since this level of skill is obviously the goal of every rifleman worthy of the title there is no reason to compromise the weight limit or the overall handiness of his "Scout" rifle.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be clear, today's current M4 SOPMOD and other carbine variants (and loadings like the MK262), even lightweight .308 versions, were not widely available at the time Cooper's concept was being kicked around. Cooper even stated in one of his own commentaries that he chose .308 because it was the most widely available cartridge 'at the time'. That has changed. But we aren't really discussing that, I'm really trying to pin down this "Scout" concept (especially as it is manifested in this Ruger). I've been reading about it since the late 70's-early 80's when I used to spend my allowance on SOF, SWAT and Survive magazines....

I think the reason Cooper got a lot of questions, and the reason it's never really taken off is because the need/purpose has never been clearly defined. 'Scout' in this context is as ambiguous as 'Tactical'. General/Multi purpose tools usually do no one thing very well. A precision big game rifle isn't a fighting rifle, and a fighting rifle doesn't do precision big game.

I really cannot envision a job I might set out to do that would require a flash suppressor, high capacity box magazine, and the ability to drop a 900 pound animal at 300 yards.

From my gut, I think Ruger slapped some military looking attachments onto an otherwise stock rifle in hopes of cashing in on the 'it looks cool' crowd.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone actually seen rugers new scout rifle , love the concept
Especially in .308 with a detachable mag !
Was thinking of placing an order. Just wonder about the adjustable length of pull thanks for any feedback.

Happy shooting ! ! 7stw

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I learned they have mini 14'style sights that's a plus to
Me going to contact a couple of dealers and see about getting one ! I have been looking for a ruger frontier to basically make a scout out of but no more fixed reliable sights and detachable mags to boot gotta get my hands on one ! Any one seen one though had a couple of questions also who did you order it from having a little trouble tracking down a dealer that deals w the distributor thanks for any feedback

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet but my brother has been looking for some sort of scout rifle. He wants a Steyr Scout but they are very expensive and any sort of scout rifle would work for him. Do you have a link or pics of the Ruger?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
awww.ruger.com_products_gunsiteScoutRifle_images_6803.jpg

Found here

The mag shown seems a bit too big for my taste. Something in a 5 rnd capacity would probably have a better overall look to it. That would likely put the bottom of the mag near the trigger guard.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Merged with old thread with almost exactly the same title. Search found only 4 other threads with "ruger scout" in title. Please at least try to find previous threads on topic before posting a new one.

Also, we even have a member who owns one, and has posted a review of it here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom