Ruger no. 1 the good/bad/ugly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok everybody I have been on a ruger no 1 kick for a little bit and was just wondering what everybody knew about them? I know there were some barrel issues in there, there's some problems with the sling swivel on bbl models. Does any body have one, what caliber and how does it shoot? I've got my eye on one on gb in 450 NE :screwy:. Would be neat to have I think. I'd not mind an odd caliber one if anyone has any recommendations.

boomer mooner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just reading your post made me flinch and my shoulder hurts a little. I owned a Ruger #1 about 20 years ago. I think it was 25-06 but can't remember for sure. I was expecting a lot more accuracy out of it and was disappointed when I couldn't get groups that where anywhere close to the groups I was getting with the Ruger M77 I sold to buy the #1.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
.458 Lott, .220 swift, .300 win mag, 6mm. Friend has a .270 weatherby mag. All are accurate and 99% of those people who say they're not, never took the time to get the forend tension adjusted properly, and each rifle will have its sweet spot. Triggers can be replaces with a Moyers if need be, all of.mine were good except the .220 swift. The .450 is a straight slow burner, I would think it would have less recoil than most 30-06's. Beautiful rifles, i'm always looking for deals on no 1's in odd ball calibers........seems that everyone else has started that too:)

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The forearm thing was mentioned to me by a good friend. His is 270 and said his wouldn't shoot worth keeping till he was told about the tension thing. Same goes for handing rifles I believe sometimes.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.458 Lott, .220 swift, .300 win mag, 6mm. Friend has a .270 weatherby mag. All are accurate and 99% of those people who say they're not, never took the time to get the forend tension adjusted properly, and each rifle will have its sweet spot. Triggers can be replaces with a Moyers if need be, all of.mine were good except the .220 swift. The .450 is a straight slow burner, I would think it would have less recoil than most 30-06's. Beautiful rifles, i'm always looking for deals on no 1's in odd ball calibers........seems that everyone else has started that too:)
I've got one in .220 swift and it's a tack driver. Five shot groups at 100yds in the .3's. Have my dads in .300 h&h and it's never been fired so I'll keep it that way. The forearm tension is a big deal with getting them to shoot good. Would like to find one in either .257 wby or .280 rem. or an international no 1 in 7x57 and once agin okie and I are in competition for the same guns we collect lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom