Ruger no. 1 the good/bad/ugly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I think about 2,100fps is the limit for the 450 NE when safely run through an old double rifle. However, the Ruger #1 can handle quit a bit more pressure than the old doubles. I'm loading 115gr of H4831SC behind the Hornady 500gr RN. I can't get any more powder in the case without bulging it.
I don't know how much more the gun or the shooter could handle anyway. The gun really should have been made substantially heavier.

I saw this load on the internet...............the guy was expressing caution against eyeball damage! lol!

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran the recoil numbers of the 7.5 pound 450 Nitro versus a 9 pound 30'06 running a 220gr bullet. I went with 9 pounds since most 30'06 rifles would be scoped.

The Nitro belts out 117 foot pounds of recoil engergy.....the 30'06 only 23.

Tony

boomer mooner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
.458 Lott, .220 swift, .300 win mag, 6mm. Friend has a .270 weatherby mag. All are accurate and 99% of those people who say they're not, never took the time to get the forend tension adjusted properly, and each rifle will have its sweet spot. Triggers can be replaces with a Moyers if need be, all of.mine were good except the .220 swift. The .450 is a straight slow burner, I would think it would have less recoil than most 30-06's. Beautiful rifles, i'm always looking for deals on no 1's in odd ball calibers........seems that everyone else has started that too:)

You are correct Sir, I never heard of adjusting forend tension to make the #1 shoot well. Wished I had known at the time.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So basically the barrel needs to be floated from the stock. Not a hard fix why would there be issues with it touching in the first place? Secondly recoil isn't too big of a deal for me, still young enough to not have shoulder problems. I currently have a handi rifle in 4570 whose only purpose in life is to launch max loaded 500gr dgx bullets at hogs.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well gents pending trade looks like I will be ending up with a #1 tropical in 375 h&h. That oughta suit my need for a big huge dumb caliber. If I ever go elk hunting I will be set I think. Okie 4570 are all no1 going to have hat issue or will just be certain ones?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well gents pending trade looks like I will be ending up with a #1 tropical in 375 h&h. That oughta suit my need for a big huge dumb caliber. If I ever go elk hunting I will be set I think. Okie 4570 are all no1 going to have hat issue or will just be certain ones?

No they didn't all have that issue, but some that shot well didn't after the forearm was taken off and put back on........and vise versa. In my experiences, the smaller, faster rounds seemed to be more sensitive to the tension.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
The washer trick works good but is a pain to make................with my .458 and my 6mm, I just cut a 1" square piece of plastic milk carton and placed in the forearm channel just to the screw as possible. Your's may be fine when you get it, never know. If you tend to get groups that are vertical strings, that's the reason. Whenever I load test on a new No. 1, I just do all of my testing without the forearm on the rifle. You'll know when put it back on if it's right or not.

TonyRumore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The forend isn't the only issue with number ones. I have a 243 that I got in 1978 and it shot 4" groups out of the box. Floating the forend cut them to 2".

The final fix was 100% bedding the buttstock to the receiver. The gun now shoots 5/8" for five at 100.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RidgeHunter has one in .35 Whelen of all things. He's a Mannerist.

evanr.smugmug.com_Other_Minolta_Hi_Matic_7SII_i_bDZ968D_1_L_84700009_L.jpg

I am pure class, ig. What kind of a boor hunts with anything but a single shot. And break overs do not count as single shots, sir.

There is no ugly. Only pretty.

How does it shoot? Better than me, but not much. Good enough to hit large animals at the distance I see them. It is good looking, very light, very short, and packs a mean punch. A lot like my first girlfriend. Short as a Winchester '94 but with a 22" barrel, 6.5 pounds. I bought it to be easy to carry, point like a shotgun (yay thumb safeties), and throw 225 grains of lead real fast. It does that well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom