Ruger Precision Rimfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would anyone want this rifle in anything but .22lr??
I don't get the desire to get guns chambered in expensive and/or hard to find ammo.
I bought one when they first came out in 22lr. I like the platform well enough that I'd like to have one in 22 mag. If they come out with it in 17wsm, I'll buy it too.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pickup a Ruger Precision Rifle at my local FFL, went to Sports World, they hooked me up with a Nikon Rimfire 4 X 12 scope and mount; excellent range day -- my BX25 magazines work flawlessly. Had to wonder, about 5 years ago I traded for a Leupold Tactical Mark 4; 4.5 X 14 scope from an OSA member (had it mounted on a Remington 700P; .308 that I never shot), I mounted the scope this morning, went to Sports World had them confirm my zero was close. Shot 200 rounds of Federal Auto Match -- Finally start using my Caldwell "the Rock" deluxe shooting rest ( I literally had to wipe the dust off the storage case, set it on my shelf in my garage, 4 years ago when we moved), Did I mention it was an Excellent day for shooting, little windy but it was blowing from behind me to the target. Will start looking for a bipod soon.

I go to mount the scope ring; Leupold reads 65 in lbs of torque, take out my Snap On 1/4 drive Torque Wrench -- torque the rings to the rail, man that seems really -- really tight. I just snug the 6 torque screws that hold the cap of the rings to the tube of the scope.

Scope Coat or flip-up Lens Caps?
Scope Coat is cheaper -- Leupold 40MM flip-up caps retail is $65 each.

Last edited:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would anyone want this rifle in anything but .22lr??
I don't get the desire to get guns chambered in expensive and/or hard to find ammo.

Its all about ballistics and what the bullet can do on impact. 17hmr and 17wsm are very impressive loads. They fly fast and flat. Sure the ammo is more expensive but truth be told if you are shooting anything better than bulk 22LR ammo you gotta spend more on 22lr for accuracy. When you look at the accuracy of the basic ammo from Federal or Hornaday in .17 you would need match ammo in a 22lr to get those kinds of groups and only at shorter ranges. So if your comparing apples to apples price the per bullet is not so bad while 22LR will still be cheaper. I know some 22lr guys that spend crazy money on ammo to get tiny groups though.

MY LGS has 17HMR Federal Premium V-Shok for $9.99 for 50 pack. Then with rebates going on its a free box for every 5. So the cost isn't that bad for what it can do. It is always on the shelf at my LGS and I have seen it at academy regularly also. I can't really speak to WSM availability I know it is more expensive but its an even more impressive load on paper.

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a few sets of Vortex defender flip caps. They are much heftier than butler creeks. I think they cost $20 per cap. I've got one rifle that rides on the atv rack with em. Never had one pop open or come off goin thru brush or ditches. Even rolled the atv once, still closed. Launched the rifle off the back rack goin thru a ditch at high speed, everything was still closed and intact when I went back to retrieve rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom