Russian made ammo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a M-1 Carbine recently, just to have something better than a .22 around, just in case it gets CRAZIER! This was back around the Election, (COUP) and .30 caliber ammo was hard to find around Tulsa, at that time. I managed to get a few boxes of good brass ammo, but then ran across some russian made, steel case ammo. I'm not knowlidgeable on this subject , and this ammo was dfirt cheap, so I bought several boxes. I fired a few of these to make sure it would work, and it seemed to work alright. I thought it would be better than throughing rocks, if it came down to it! Any opinions on this russian steel case ammo? THANKS!

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a M-1 Carbine recently, just to have something better than a .22 around, just in case it gets CRAZIER! This was back around the Election, (COUP) and .30 caliber ammo was hard to find around Tulsa, at that time. I managed to get a few boxes of good brass ammo, but then ran across some russian made, steel case ammo. I'm not knowlidgeable on this subject , and this ammo was dfirt cheap, so I bought several boxes. I fired a few of these to make sure it would work, and it seemed to work alright. I thought it would be better than throughing rocks, if it came down to it! Any opinions on this russian steel case ammo? THANKS!
You said it there....."better than throwing rocks" as long as you don't have to shoot farther than 50 yards you'll be ok. I've used some of the Russian and Chinese crap in the past and it's boiled down to getting ventilated by a bayonet or shooting in the head at 5 yards, using the butt end of the gun is also an option when ya get a mis-fire, best bet is "fix bayonets" for when the ammo fails ya.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have exactly zero experience with .30 Russian ammo, but the general rule of thumb is that Russian ammo gets a bad rap due to the firearms using it. Cheap, loosely fitted rifles typically. But AKs are still made to roughly the same spec as US service rifle. Roughly 4moa at 100 yards is what they go for. I’ve had “crap” steel case Russian surplus ammo shoot 1-1.5 moa out of a good gun. I have zero issues shooting the stuff for hunting or target practice. Cheap steel stuff won’t give you long range precision hunting ammo results, but most people don’t want it for that anyways.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I received about half a case of Tula 30 carbine ammo when I bought a Plainfield M1 carbine back in 2017. I let the kids shoot some of it and it had zero FTF or FTE. They didn't put it on paper, just plinking with it. It seemed to be fairly accurate shooting at sticks in the pond from 25-40 yards. The boys were able to hit the sticks within a few shots each time. If I found some cheap, I'd be inclined to buy it.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve used lots of Russian combloc ammo. Never any Russian 30 carbine ammo. Mainly the Mexican Aguila .30. The thing I’ve noticed about Russian commercial ammo is it is a bit underpowered and most of it is very dirty. They also tend to have hard primers. So you may get a few light primer strikes here and there.

If you are looking for some decent mags the Korean 15 and 30 rounders have worked good for me. They use to be cheep and may still. Gun mag warehouse has 30 rounders for $11.99 on sale. If they are the same ones I got they were made for their military and are good to go. Come in some wax paper pouches with NSN numbers and other what not.

Most the USA old surplus mags are not the most reliable. The old springs aren’t that great after 80ish years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom