Russian SKS (clean up)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveHarn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Russian SKS that the bayonet has been removed. I would like to remove the mounting for the bayonet. Anyone close to Tulsa able to do this? Also I would like to remove the wood and refinish it as some of the finish is peeling. It has the funky little fasteners and I do not have the tools to remove. I have never disassembled one either so a little nervous. Any pointers on this?

thanks Dave

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a wealth of information at the SKS forum.

I'd suggest digging around there, I've found several great tutorials buried in the site for all sorts of SKS projects.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

As far as the removal tool I believe that TAPCO makes one. You can go to TAPCO's site, and they have a list of online retailers who would sell that tool.

DaveHarn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a cool Website. Thanks. I have two SKS one Russian and a Chinese. I have had both for years so did not pay much for them. It appears the value is much more now. I may have to search for a new bayonet and keep the Russian intact as it appears they are worth a little more.

thanks again

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the others said the price has gone up the last few years & more so
for the Russian ones.But you may think twice before you refinish that stock.

Being it's Russian it's worth more to a collector as is.:nolike:

DaveHarn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fly I am finding that out on the SKS forum. I also am now on the lookout for a blade bayonet and cleaning kit. It is going to go back original. It was my first rifle My dad bought it about 20 years ago or so and gave it to me about 15 years ago. He made a knife out of the original bayonet and the kit has been misplaced. I will be looking for them now. I have to go home and figure out the year. I do know it is a numbers matching as I have compared all of them before. Just never knew what I had. I also have a China one.. Someone on here has a Yugo for sale. I may see if I can swap a 442 I have for it. The pistol is worth a little more but I want the sks just to have another type.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fly I am finding that out on the SKS forum. I also am now on the lookout for a blade bayonet and cleaning kit. It is going to go back original. It was my first rifle My dad bought it about 20 years ago or so and gave it to me about 15 years ago. He made a knife out of the original bayonet and the kit has been misplaced. I will be looking for them now. I have to go home and figure out the year. I do know it is a numbers matching as I have compared all of them before. Just never knew what I had. I also have a China one.. Someone on here has a Yugo for sale. I may see if I can swap a 442 I have for it. The pistol is worth a little more but I want the sks just to have another type.

believe it or not, ebay has the bayonet you are looking for. You do not need to take out the stock cross bolt for disassembly. flip the rifle over use a pointy object, push in on the detent behind the trigger group and it will release. If it doesnt move the safety to other position (i can't remember which direction it goes) and then it will release. Then with the bolt back, press down on the sides of the magazine from the top and it will come out. thats all there is to it. Don't loose the spring that is in the stock by the detent you released the trigger group with. by the way, release your bolt now. lol or just take the bolt, etc out before you do the mag and trigger group

DaveHarn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. found the cleaning kits as well. Not sure if it matters if the blade is Russian or not as those do not say? My wife is going to kill me as I can feel this getting out of hand already. lol

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it always does brother. lol
those russians are nice rifles, enjoy.
as far as the bayo goes, those are probably all norinco chinese ones, but no one will ever know and I wouldn't be able to tell anyway. I have owned many sks over the years and they are a fun, and very useful part of the collection. Wish ammo was still $89/1000 or 1200, but alas, I would still be in college and it would be 1992 and neither of those will work.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave it's great to hear you may leave it as is.The only sks I have is a Yugo
& I wish I had a Russian.The ones I have seen went for over $400.

Ten years from now who knows what they will bring?I'm in to Mosin Nagants
& got my first Finn last week.They don't make these ole guys any more &
I look back to my old 1966 Mustang that I chopped up for a race car,Please
I don't even want to think about that!:violin:

Latest posts

Top Bottom