Russian SKS (clean up)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dave, I'm sure you've figured out by now that the bayonet lug is part of the front sight group. I suggest you don't mess with it if you're concerned about the value of your rifle. I think you've already come to that conclusion.

Having said that, all Russian SKS bayonets are not created equal. This website will show you the difference in Russian blade bayonet lugs. http://www.yooperj.com/ Click on SKS on the left side of the page; then scroll down to "SKS page 4 more info on bayonet lugs".

DaveHarn

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some pics of my gun on the sks page

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=64722.0

I need to figure out what it is so I can restore it. I can feel myself getting sucked in more and more lol. I really want tokick my dads butt for messin up the bayonet it had orginally. Not sure but appears like this might be somewhat rare according to Yoopers website. Thanks for the help guys

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had read that post earlier but didn't put 2 and 2 together. I assume the receiver cover has no star or date on top. Does it have the serial number on the rear of the receiver cover?

Looks like all you need to do is find a late blade bayonet and you're home free. If you decide to refinish it, I'd suggest a wipedown with denatured alcohol first. This will tend to smooth out the existing shellac. Someone may have already mentioned this.

Then use shellac thinned quite a bit with denatured alcohol. Do as many coats as you think is proper for the effect you want. It's easy and if you screw up, denatured alcohol will take it off.

I have achieved a really good Russian red look on Mosins by mixing Black and Wine Ritt liquid dye and then mixing it with the shellac. After it dries, I use a denatured alcohol soaked rag and wipe away some of the color for that shaded effect. I don't know if that will work very well on laminated stocks.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something else to consider is that you can find "new" wood stocks online for really cheap. Take your original russian stock, set it aside and get a new wood stock on it if your going to make it a range friendly shooter.

Then when you feel like being fancy and showing off your nearly original Russian SKS or selling it, you can just toss it back in the original stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom