S&W 460V.......anyone?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not looking to buy at the moment, I'm too poor to even pay attention so until that changes I'm researching guns I might like to own in the future and that 460V has me interested.

Ever since I got my first .357 magnum I've been addicted to guns that make big booms. I love my GP100 .357 magnum but I also wanted something bigger so when I first saw a S&W 629 V-Comp .44 magnum I knew I wanted one. It took awhile, they are a little pricey and tend to sell within minutes of being posted for sale. It is the sweetest revolver I've ever owned or even handled and a ton of fun to shoot. While I would never get rid of that gun I've been considering a step up in power. I always thought it would be a .454 Casull since it can shoot .45 Colt also. Since we already own 6 other .45 Colts we usually have that ammo in stock. I figured that it would be a Ruger SRH Alaskan even though I would much prefer a longer barrel (I know what some of you are thinking, why not just get a SRH? Well, no offense to those that own them but to me they look silly).

Today I came across the S&W 460V which is a .460S&W magnum with a 5" barrel but something I didn't know until today was that a .460S&W mag also shoots .454 Casull and .45 Colt which is pretty awesome. It offers the longer barrel I wanted and the ability to shoot the .454 and .45 with an extra of shooting a third even larger caliber. I'm a little hesitant about the X frame size though, I've never handled one but seems really, really big. That obviously helps with recoil but it might end up being too big for what I want, remains to be seen.

My questions are...does anyone have any personal experience with the 460V or even the S&W500 4-5" which is probably pretty similar? Anyone have experience with a .454 Casull Ruger Alaskan? I'm just looking for information from people who have actually fired or owned and fired these. What do y'all think of the .460V?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to own a S&W 500 but it was an 8 3/8" barrel. It did kick, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I'm just under 200lbs so I'm not a large guy with huge wrists. Mine had the factory porting and with that I didn't think it was as bad to shoot as a S&W 629 44mag 8 3/8" without porting.

I sold it but I'll probably buy another and the exact same model.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont have any experience with the short ones but I can tell you my 8-3/8 x frame 500 doesnt seem to weight any more than my 7.5" super Redhawk in 454. I also want a 460. I hope you end up with one.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw some video of a guy shooting a 460V, there wasn't that much muzzle flip and the recoil didn't appear to be horrible. I'll add one to my list, don't know if I'll ever get one but it's on the list so that's something at least. Thanks for the information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom