Safety in garage floor / in ground vs above ground tornado shelters ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything is better then nothing. Seems like most of the storm shelter threads are turing into the AK vs AR and 1911 vs Glock. It is not about mine being better then yours. Just get something, if you have a family.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed the article. I will look at it when I get home to the laptop

It's light on actual data. It gives a number of shelters that were "In or near the path". It doesn't say if they were occupied and how the occupants made out. It doesn't specify location, damage, or compare damage and impact on occupants to below ground etc...

I'm sure they will be putting together a more academic report at some point. It will be nice to check it out when/if they do.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep reading, keep watching for further info and keep thinking about a shelter. My problem, I don't have enough room in the garage to sacrifice the space without leaving a car outside, I don't want to crawl in a hole in the ground. So now I have turned my thoughts to putting a safe room outside on the patio. An Oz Saferoom would be nice, but I don't have that much money!

Mike

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's light on actual data. It gives a number of shelters that were "In or near the path". It doesn't say if they were occupied and how the occupants made out. It doesn't specify location, damage, or compare damage and impact on occupants to below ground etc...

I'm sure they will be putting together a more academic report at some point. It will be nice to check it out when/if they do.

I'm sure you can email the researcher.

Also UM had some research on the subject
https://www.facebook.com/notes/jopl...e-room-we-want-to-talk-to-you/214835821881028

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Blkthree, you do realize that you can still put car in the garage. The shelter looks like a pit at a oil change shop with a sliding door on it. You park the car on top of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom