Safety in garage floor / in ground vs above ground tornado shelters ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had an in ground shelter for about 8-9 years now. It is a two piece unit that is glued together in the center. I haven't had any leaks at the seam so far thankfully. When the ground is VERY wet the cement towards the bottom gets a bit darker like it has more water/moisture in it, but I've never had a leak or any standing water. I've got a small carpet in the bottom and it stays dry.

I find the debate about above ground and below ground units somewhat entertaining. It is probably a situation of underground being a 10 in terms of strength and the above ground being a 9. Logically I don't see how you can argue that an above ground is stronger as it doesn't have feet and feet of solid ground to protect it, but they certainly do seem strong enough to handle strong tornadoes. My advice is get what you can, or what works for your family. Some families may have people with limited mobility and getting down into an underground shelter may not be an option.

blckthree

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the data is out there. You'll just need to do your own searching for it.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a...look_NWS_official/20130606_777_0_ANatio823340

Professor Larry Tanner from the Texas Tech Department of Construction Engineering and Engineering Technology, said he had inspected 61 of the 199 storm shelters known to be in the path of the May 20 Moore tornado that killed 24.

The idea that it is impossible to survive even the most violent of tornados in a properly built above-ground shelter is a myth, he said.

Tanner showed pictures of homes that were destroyed except for small portions, which were being held up by their above-ground shelters.

I sure wish they would publish those pictures online for us to see.

Mike

SusieQ

New to the site!
Reaction score
I went over to Oz saferooms..I am signed up for the first of January .( They are backed up that much). I have weighed out the cons and pros of both. I have decided I would rather not be underground where if could drown. Yes they are pricey but a well constructed one pour method meaning no joints at all. I was very impressed on how they are made. They are in the process of bringing all there paperwork from NY so they know where all there saferooms are they can survey and see if there were any failures. They had no failures in 1999 and I would think 2013 would be the same.

Also have seen people talk about underground units being multi pieces of concrete. The oz saferoom is one single pour unit.

I am impressed with the continuous pour concrete also, but I can't see where they are certified meeting the FEMA guidelines. Them using a sliding barn door "Jamb Latch" to secure the door FREAKS me out. I can tell you that I requested them to email me the testing, storm shelter certification, and warranty, but they are NOT forthcoming with anything. Instead, I was told that they have it and I can come by their office. They already knew that I would have to drive 174 miles round trip and honestly, what will they give me in writing that they won't give it to me via email. I asked them many questions and most of them they won't respond to. Now... just what were they doing in 1999 and how many did they have out on the market... and you are telling me that they claim that for 12 plus years that they aren't keeping track of anything??? One of my questions to them was asking if they were ever sued. They didn't respond. I can tell you that I have found no testing done by Texas Tech. RIT did a testing costing $2,000.00 where they dropped something on the top of the structure and did some "calculated" testing based on samples of concrete they were provided. They did NOT test the WALLS and the DOOR. I'm not finding that the NSSA (National Storm Shelter Association) approved them. I see several articles and video's where reporters and show hosts say they are FEMA approved (by the way, per FEMA's website, they don't approve/certify any storm shelters nor the vendors), but I can't find any documentation. I would like to consider this shelter, does anyone know who I can confirm for sure if their shelters are certified?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From Oz's own stock prospectus:

The National Storm Shelter Association (NSSA) identifies the National Wind Institute at Texas Tech University as the primary industry resource for testing whether storm shelters meet FEMA safe room standards. The National Wind Institute utilizes a debris impact test that consists of propelling a 2" x 4" at the shelter at varying speeds. A list of manufacturers whose shelters have completed the debris impact test is published on the website of the National Wind Institute, and the manufacturers commonly advertise that their products have been shown by the National Wind Institute test to meet FEMA 320 and 361 standards. Oz Saferooms Technologies is not a member of the NSSA because we believe its primary mission is to aid the marketing efforts of the storm shelter manufacturers that we intend to eclipse. Likewise, the Oz Saferoom has not been tested at the National Wind Institute because our management does not believe that the debris impact test performed there is an adequate test of the durability and safety of a safe room. Nevertheless, potential customers and joint venture partners who value the results of the National Wind Institute testing may prefer a safe room that has undergone National Wind Institute testing to an Oz Saferoom, which could reduce our sales and/or business opportunities.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really sure. They point to the test where they dropped a Chevy on one and to the real tornado strikes back in 2003.

Real world examples shouldn't be discredited for sure, but their comment about "management disagreeing with the testing standards" is funny considering their management doesn't seem to have any out of the ordinary qualifications one would expect to see when going up against such a respected testing body like TT/NWI.

If your shelter is better, why not submit it for the inferior testing and prove it (like more than 150 other companies have)? To not do so just seems sleazy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom