sandhill cranes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great pics guys! I've never even seen one that I know of, but remember my Uncle used to go to Salt Plains to hunt them. He had pics like yours. Really big wingspread on those birds!!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough critters to hunt for sure. I don't target them exclusively though. I tend to get pretty mad at them when I do hunt them. They are really crafty. Second picture was just a day that I was set up on the x trying to knock some ducks down on a solo hunt. I didn't have any crane decoys out. I knew I would probably get a stab at the first bunch of cranes that came in. They tried to land pretty darn close.

ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_015.jpg

ai552.photobucket.com_albums_jj351_fishfurlife_1_12_10bling.jpg

Foggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never blown the Haydel's call but I can tell you that byfar the best Sandhill Crane call WAS made by Fox.Pfortmiller Game Calls in Great Bend Kansas. I have one of the 1st. Their call won the World Sandhill Crane Contest not to many years ago. Fox/Pfortmiller are not making calls at this time but a few of their calls can be found on the web if you look hard enough.

goosedestroyer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad have a dozen of Real Geese Silhouette Crane Decoys and a few kind of sandhill crane calls. We did have a little success hunting for sandhill crane at public on wetlands in southwest of Lawton, usually kill a few cranes with mix of geese and duck.. The crane is probably the best tasting, better than goose or duck; we love eating the crane fajitia!

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
nice pics and stories guys. i didn'y know "real geese" made crane decoys. i have not looked at or bought decoys in years!

Latest posts

Top Bottom