Savage Enfield no4 mk1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a beautiful gun that shoots extremely well and is highly accurate. The markings are extremely clear and everything is in great condition. Can someone give me an estimation on its value? I see some rough ones one the net being marked as sold between 7-850 but they aren’t this nice. I don’t have experience with Lee Enfield.
Thank you for your time and opinion.
2CD7DA35-85D0-4891-94D9-FAB4FC3759D5.jpeg
725E3DF1-F9EA-4E5D-B8E3-EA5D71DA2F83.jpeg
2C9E80E5-D5E0-4385-8BF6-D72337C157C8.jpeg
80A410E7-AEAD-4B7A-B0EF-ED3D0E0344EE.jpeg

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Price has definitely gone up in last few yrs. I bought one about 3 yrs ago for 400. Most at the big Tulsa show we’re going for around 7-800. There are some with WW2 provenance selling for 1200. So I wouldn’t pay more than 700, but a collector who needs one will prob pay more.

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you headspaced it? If you're in the Tulsa area I'm happy to meet up to check for you. I have go, no go, and field gauges.

Another thing to check on savage no4s is the bolt head track near the chamber. They tend to wear out and can cause issues.

Also if the stock was refinished, that can diminish value. I'd say any no 4 in respectable condition can fetch 700. Brand new no4 mk2s can run 800-1200, thats a hard wall that mk1s run into.

Kind regards,

Logan

SSG_McD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you headspaced it? If you're in the Tulsa area I'm happy to meet up to check for you. I have go, no go, and field gauges.

Another thing to check on savage no4s is the bolt head track near the chamber. They tend to wear out and can cause issues.

Also if the stock was refinished, that can diminish value. I'd say any no 4 in respectable condition can fetch 700. Brand new no4 mk2s can run 800-1200, thats a hard wall that mk1s run into.

Kind regards,

Logan
I had a gunsmith look at it and he said the headspace was fine and it was safe to shoot so I did. He is actually the reason I’m asking its value. He wanted to buy it for 375. I had a feeling that was a lowball number. That’s why I brought the question here. It shot very well with no issues and it’s highly accurate. I would say the stock has not been refinished as it shows a lot of aging.

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think so as well. It's possible the receiver is as well, though that could be the original parkerization.

It was tastefully redone, however.

I would say 375 would be a bit low. Maybe 450-500. You could locate an original stock and return it to its original state.

Enfields are in a weird spot. Most folks hold them in lesser regard than mausers (Springfield included), but higher than Mosins or Carcanos, likely due to .303 prices and rear locking lugs.

I personally would regard them as a value rifle and are thoroughly praised for hunting by our neighbors up north. Incredible accuracy was achieved from their later iterations and the Brits did a great job of optimizing a design that has its roots in the late 1800s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom