SC Alloy frame pistol advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsterknuckles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been doing some research, and narrowed my choices down to two. I like the colt defender, and the Chief Special 45.

I've read great things about both. I would really like the 3.0-3.5'' barrel 1911 but from what I've been reading they have lots of FTF. Is there any other subcompact alloy frame that I'm missing? I'd really like a decocker, and a safety.. I simply can't find any.

Thanks for any advice or help in advance!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been doing some research, and narrowed my choices down to two. I like the colt defender, and the Chief Special 45.

I've read great things about both. I would really like the 3.0-3.5'' barrel 1911 but from what I've been reading they have lots of FTF. Is there any other subcompact alloy frame that I'm missing? I'd really like a decocker, and a safety.. I simply can't find any.

Thanks for any advice or help in advance!

If you're looking specifically at .45, then Kimber is probably the best platform for subcompact 1911s (within reasonable price).

If 9mm or .40 is ok, then look at the Springfield EMP. I loved mine - it was a great 1911 specifically designed around the 9mm cartridge.

Sig makes the 239, but you're stuck with single-stack and its not a whole lot smaller than some of their double-stack models like the 228/229.

Check into the CZ Rami or their CZ 75 Compact - One of those sounds almost exactly like what you want in 9mm or .40.

Lobsterknuckles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking specifically at .45, then Kimber is probably the best platform for subcompact 1911s (within reasonable price).

If 9mm or .40 is ok, then look at the Springfield EMP. I loved mine - it was a great 1911 specifically designed around the 9mm cartridge.

Sig makes the 239, but you're stuck with single-stack and its not a whole lot smaller than some of their double-stack models like the 228/229.

Check into the CZ Rami or their CZ 75 Compact - One of those sounds almost exactly like what you want in 9mm or .40.

Good advice. I drooled over the kimber ultra cdp II.

I currently have a glock 27, and would really like to get a .45 alloy body, to experience both worlds. I've read lots of durability, and ftf issues with the ultra series though, which is why I asked which 3''-3.5'' platform was the most stable.

Does the cs-45 have many ftf issues? I've never heard anyone with a negative experience from the little guns except their "fat".

Again, thanks for your advice, I'm definitely considering a kimber.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really want to like a 3" 1911 but have tried two (Colt, Kimber) and neither was dependable enough for a carry gun. The Kimber was sent back to the factory twice and still didn't run right. I called Kimber and was told "the 3" guns aren't as forgiving as the 5" guns". I know how to shoot a 1911 and do not limp wrist. That being said, I feel you should be able to limp wrist a self defense gun and it still function. In my opinon, the best 1911 for concealed carry is an officer frame with a commander (4" barrel) slide.

Lobsterknuckles

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really want to like a 3" 1911 but have tried two (Colt, Kimber) and neither was dependable enough for a carry gun. The Kimber was sent back to the factory twice and still didn't run right. I called Kimber and was told "the 3" guns aren't as forgiving as the 5" guns". I know how to shoot a 1911 and do not limp wrist. That being said, I feel you should be able to limp wrist a self defense gun and it still function. In my opinon, the best 1911 for concealed carry is an officer frame with a commander (4" barrel) slide.

You're experience echoes many other people. I like 1911s, but I don't HAVE to have one, I mainly want a .45, and alloy subcompact. I've seriously considered the commander size, but I'm really looking for something less lengthy.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Are you going to carry this gun IWB? If so, I have found that the one inch difference wouldn't affect carry-ability negatively; in fact, I've found some guns can be more comfortable when they're a little longer. I would suggest that a 4" 1911 would be at least as comfortable IWB as a 3" gun, if not more so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom