School me on binoculars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking about replacing a old pair of binoculars for some time . A silhouette shooting buddy , had bought a pair of Vortex binoculars , the eye piece cracked or came off so he returned them to Vortex . They sent him a new upgraded pair at no cost . He decided they were not needed ,he had bought them for his wife . Ken brought them to a club match to sell . I was able to compare them with my old pair and wondered why I had waited so long to replace mine . I ended up with a pair of Vortex Viper hd 8 x 42 . I had been looking at Nikon Monarchs. I think the Vortex are hard to beat and they stand behind their product . I gave my old pair to my friends son . I am happy with them ,Best Binoculars of 2021

Last edited:

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you havent already looked, check out longrangehuntingforums.com. They have a great optics section in the classifieds where you can get a great deal on some gently used optics.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
….. One size doesn’t fit all and not everyone’s vision is the same.
What Dennis said. Binoculars are a bit pointless for me because I’m so eye dominate, and my non dominate eye has much worse vision. I’m far better off with a monocular, I have to close one eye to use binoculars, so why bother paying for 2x the glass.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What Dennis said. Binoculars are a bit pointless for me because I’m so eye dominate, and my non dominate eye has much worse vision. I’m far better off with a monocular, I have to close one eye to use binoculars, so why bother paying for 2x the glass.
Tried a monacular and it doesn’t seem “right” to me when looking through one. Even though one eye is lacking in clarity the double vision is necessary for me.
As stated, what’s good for me is not good for everyone.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wound up getting a pair of Vortex Viper 10x42 binos Saturday. Took my time looking through all I was interested in and liked these.

Best part of all, Cabelas had them marked $299.99 but the 8x42’s were marked $489.99. I asked the sales guy why the price difference and all he could tell was the 10x42’s weren’t labeled as water and fog proof.

Went out to my car, got on the internet, wound up calling Optics Planet and found out they were water and fog proof. But also read on the net Vortex was discontinuing the 10x42’s.

Don’t know which it was just know it was a pretty good deal. Checked with another place, same binos were $470.

I appreciate all the help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom