School me on binoculars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting me a new set of binos. Went ti Cabelas and looked at some Zeiss 10x42’s and some Vortex 8x42’s.

To me the Vortex was sharper and clearer.
I’m not set on either brand, just starting to look and wanted some recommendations.

Looking to keep it around $600 or a lot less.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you in the OKC area? You might also check out the 2 Astronomy shops. I bought my binocs from Astronomics in Norman. The other is Steves Pro Shop in MWC on Air Depot. Google for addresses, phone numbers, etc, and have things in stock right now to pickup and try out, etc. They don't sell junk.

You will be dealing with people who know these things inside and out and can guide you very well, as opposed to some guy in a regular retail store who was working in the Tire Department last week and the Laundry Soap Department the week before but doesn't know diddly squat about anything in particular.

Also, if you have any interest in Astronomy, go to a few member meetings of Oklahoma City Astronomy Club, Okcastroclubdotcom. FWIW the club owns a lot of scopes and other equipment, and encourages you to borrow their equipment first before making a purchase.

Last edited:

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting me a new set of binos. Went ti Cabelas and looked at some Zeiss 10x42’s and some Vortex 8x42’s.

To me the Vortex was sharper and clearer.
I’m not set on either brand, just starting to look and wanted some recommendations.

Looking to keep it around $600 or a lot less.
I have a pair of Razor HD from vortex, got them at a discount but that’s hard to do

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I like the semi compacts for hunting. Really like my Vortex Diamondback 10x42’s. I had a set of Leupold cascades or Yosemite’s, can’t remember which one but the Vortex was a huge improvement in clarity.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure and put your eyes on the small end. Just kidding. Binoculars are funny. I always need to play with the one I'm buying before I buy. Don't take much to make them impossible to focus correctly for both eyes. Clarity of glass and how sturdy they are. Regardless of how much you think you will take care of them, they'll be tossed in the back seat and miss, in the bed of the truck hit and miss, packed in you backpack and knocked around..etc. It all depends on what you want to do with them. If it's just to spot game at a reasonable time of day now and then (you won't use as much as you think) don't spend a ton. You can only go so high with the magnification. If you need a good set you plan on using, go with good glass and a good company. With optics, you get exactly what you pay for. I will reiterate that I'd never buy a set of binos without seeing through them first and that's the pair I'm going to buy not the one in the box you haven't had your eyes behind. That's just me

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with Vortex. Bought at Cabelas.
The guy working the counter set out a dozen binoculars. Most were different brands. He didn’t mention price.
Looked through the front window at some power poles, made adjustments on all of them for clarity, then putting ones aside that just didn’t seem right or were not as clear as others.
Finally got down to two that were the best, both Vortex. Then the counter guy put out 6 more, all Vortex in different price ranges. It was pretty easy to pick out the clearest and it just happened to be the most expensive of the bunch.
The old saying that optics improve with price was certainly being proven correct.
To the OP, select the best you can afford and try different brands. One size doesn’t fit all and not everyone’s vision is the same.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m probably the cheapest guy here, lol. I bought the cabelas brand 12x50 binoculars. They were super cheap, I think 2-300? I don’t really remember. They’ve been pretty decent honestly, my only complaint is that the distance between the eyepieces is a little on the small side. I do have a big head and nose though.

I felt like shopping for binoculars inside a store doesn’t do the optics justice. None of the binoculars I looked at seemed to be particularly impressive looking at the sign in the boating department from the optics counter. But once I got them out in the field glassing for critters, they did a lot better on all fronts.

I like having a little bit more magnification for my binoculars than what I’m hunting with if I have an optic on my rifle, hence the 12x. Most of my hunting rifles have 9x or less magnification. Why cheap? Because like @steelfingers said, I knew that I would likely beat them up. I did buy an FHF bino harness, it’s super nice and prob my new favorite piece of hunting gear. Protects the binos well and it’s convenient enough that I actually take my binoculars out all the time now. I dislike the setup for the holster mounting though.

if you wanted to bump up that budget just a smidge, I suggest getting these Kowa’s.
https://sportingoptics.kowa-usa.com...-high-lander-32x82mm-fluorite-binoculars.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom