Hearing Aids. Info Needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm 52 eyars old and my hearing has gone to crap. Haven't been tested or anything like that but know both ears hearing have degraded quite a bit. % loss? Have no idea. Probably somehting I need to get tested for. I believe my earing issues are mostly caused by 25 years of driving and listening to the radio all these years. I do notice when I come to a stop or really slow down in my truck I have to turn the radio down as it seems so loud when less road noise, etc. In most restaurant settings It's very difficult to listen to conversations with groups of family or friends. Also, many years of not wearing proper hearing protection while working in the garage and doing lawncare. Overall, just not taking care of my ears while doing loud things. Probably like many of us on here.

I need to look into hearing aids but don't know where to start. I know the prices can range for $100-$2000+. I'd be fine spending $300-$600 but if can't get what may work best for me at that price point I can step up in price range too. Would prefer the ones that only go inside the ear canal and not have the type that hook over the back of the ear and part go inside. Battery or rechargeable, I don't know. Would like the ability to adjust the function using my phone for different environments/settings. What brand are you really happy with and what types/brands would you stay away from? Hearing aid websites to research?

Any intel you can provide would be great. Thanks

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Make an appointment at Hearts For Hearing on North Portland in OKC. They were very helpful for my dad. Thorough test and no pressure to buy from them n

JMD

I came, I saw, I made it awkward
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sister in a law is a dental assistant and has spent a career listening to those high pitch tools at work and it caused hearing loss. She went through a few different brands and types of hearing aids. We were talking about this not long ago in fact. Don't just buy something off the shelf or off the internet and hope for the best. Go to an actual audiologist get tested and properly fit with real hearing aids. She is claiming she might have made her hearing worse trying those 'internet' hearing aids.

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the hearing lab in Norman and spent a fortune on hearing aids. They help with high frequency, but do nothing about the fact that if there is background noise, I can't hear very well. My hearing damage comes from lots of shooting as a kid/young adult without hearing protection. We didn't worry about that kind of stuff back in the 80's. I actually think my Electronic Walker slim muffs from Sam's Club are better than my hearing aids.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been deaf in one ear from a very young age(about 60yrs) and have learned to live with it.

I had a fire cracker go off in my face, in the end of a clothes line, when I looked in to see why it didn’t go off. I was about 6. My ears have rang ever since. Any audible noise the same pitch/tone as the ringing goes unheard.

I drove a company car around with a bad bearing in it for months until one of my customers asked me what was wrong with my car.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They've been after me for years for aids but have never offered to sample them or do a demo
to see if they are what they claim. I know initially there is an adjustment but it would still be interesting.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to the hearing lab in Norman and spent a fortune on hearing aids. They help with high frequency, but do nothing about the fact that if there is background noise, I can't hear very well. My hearing damage comes from lots of shooting as a kid/young adult without hearing protection. We didn't worry about that kind of stuff back in the 80's. I actually think my Electronic Walker slim muffs from Sam's Club are better than my hearing aids.
Does Sam's let you try them out? Or is that a health issue to do so?

Latest posts

Top Bottom