School me on McMillan rifle stocks and other Remington 700 goodies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .243 the other day and was wondering how you go about getting one of these McMillan stocks and the gunsmithing involved. I was looking at the HTG model or A5 Standard model of stock that they offer. I will probably mostly use it for target and some hunting. If there is a lot of gunsmithing involved is there a gunsmith that is recommended over others in the OKC metro area.

Also. Would like some scope recommendations if anyone has any input. Money isn't really a big deal. This is going to be my long project. Would like to get a tactical bolt knob as well if someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thank you all! :)

[Broken External Image]

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you purchase the right stock, there should be minimal work needed if any to fit your rifle to the stock. Generally no smithing required unless do something to change the stock. Most stock work can be done in a persons garage. If you decide you want to use DBM system then you will need to make sure you pick the appropriate inlet so that you do not have to send the stock off to be opened up. Usually gunsmiths will not do this process and you will have to send it to a company that will or sometimes a precision rifle builder.

As far as scopes go, I would highly recommend using the Bushnell XRS 4.5-30 G2. I have been running one for a while and am absolutely in love with it. Vortex HD models as well as Nightforce offer some nice scopes as well. I also would suggest purchasing a 1 piece picatinny style scope base. This will add generalization between ring choices.

As far as bolt knobs go, you can find places to install them for $80 on up. If you have a collection of tools or can weld then this is also something you could attempt in your garage.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When i swapped out stocks I did it in my garage with very little work, glass wise i like Vortex, and a cheap bolt knob would be KRG bolt lift its a clam shell that covers the bolt knob and it gives the knob a little more real estate

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pacific tool and gauge badger surgeon and others offer bolt knobs that require some machining. The krg is an option. I saw jedabug92's rifle at an eat n shoot and it was okay. I prefer a true machined replacement. As far as glass goes I like German glass. Kahles zeiss Swarovski with kahles being my favorite. If you want a more tactical option then bushnell nightforce swfa and vortex are good mid level options. With Schmidt and bender march premier and hensoldt bringing more to the table at a substantially higher price point. A lot will depend on your budget and desired features. If you order the correct stock from McMillan (inlet to your rifle) there won't be any gunsmithing involved. You might check http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com and see what they have in stock. If you have any questions call and talk to bj he knows his stuff. 6-8 month wait at McMillan right now I ordered a stock on sept and they quoted me April for delivery.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

B Gordon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you considered one of the chassis system style stocks?

McMillan stocks would normally need to be glass or steel bedded to get top accuracy.
You can bed the stock yourself if you are a hands on type person.
There are several video's out there showing how to do it.
Just be aware that if you mess up the bedding job you will possibly end up with the stock and action being glued together.
Additionally, if you want to utilize detachable magazines you will need to buy bottom metal which adds another $250-$300 to the cost.

I have both types and a chassis system is far and away the most simple way to get really great accuracy with a usable system.
Most utilize some sort of V style machining to cradle the action.
The Accuracy International chassis system for Remington 700 actions is a good one.

Cost can be anywhere from about $500 to over $1500 for chassis systems but a McMillan stock and bottom metal with having a gunsmith do the bedding will cost well over $1000.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consider Manners equal to McMillan stocks, and Manners offers an integral chassis so that you would not have to bed your barreled action. Some like the AI chassis, some like others, but regardless of which way you go, it is better to get behind one and see how it feels before ordering.

I prefer the McMillan A5, but also have a couple of rifles with the Manners T4A and they feel very similar to the A5.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had good luck with the Bell and Carlson Medalist A5 stocks on my Remington's. They are a poor mans Manners/McMillian. I always liked them because they were already inletted for the remington varmint heavy guns. Plus, they are already cut for the drop in Wyatt detachable magazine setups. I don't have the direct link memorized, but checkout Stockys Stocks for all kinds of stocks.

Also, hit up Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy in Jones, Ok. He can do your bolt and if I remember right, he does bedding too.

JMSTactical

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .243 the other day and was wondering how you go about getting one of these McMillan stocks and the gunsmithing involved. I was looking at the HTG model or A5 Standard model of stock that they offer. I will probably mostly use it for target and some hunting. If there is a lot of gunsmithing involved is there a gunsmith that is recommended over others in the OKC metro area.

Also. Would like some scope recommendations if anyone has any input. Money isn't really a big deal. This is going to be my long project. Would like to get a tactical bolt knob as well if someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thank you all! :)

[Broken External Image]

Our chassis system bolts on in 3 minutes. You don't have to remove your scope to assemble it, and it is V-Bedded, so no bedding required..

[Broken External Image]

It all depends on what type of shooting you plan on doing..
Thanks, and have a great day!