Science Fiction Classics (Reading)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The book was great, the movie sucked in my opinion. As a side note, did you know that the author, Max Brooks, is the son of comedian Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft! Who would have thunk it!

Yeah, how else do you think he could have taken 10 years to write the book without the financing of those two parents!!!

Dave

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what you call sci fi.

I am not a big fan of the fantasy books. Dragonriders, etc.

For Apocalyptic stuff:
Alas, Babylon
Earth Abides
Lights Out (by David Crawford)
Normal
Footfall
Lucifer's Hammer

I like Heinlien and Asimov, but didn't care for Stranger in a Strange Land much. Future history was pretty good.
Dune was good, but didn't care for the prequels or followups.

Ender's Game was good. Haven't read his followups yet.

Don't get started on the Ashes, Deathlands or Survivor series. I loved 'em but they are repetitive. Not cerebral. Just escapism.

I liked David Brin's The Postman

A Canticle for Leibowitz is pretty good

I also liked the "Deep Winter" series by Thomas Sherry. But this is SHTF/EOTW stuff.

World War Z was better as a book than a movie

One Second After (similar to Alas, Babylon) but current time setting

HG Wells

Jules Verne

Just my ramblings.

Dave
One story that I'd seriously recommend is the duo When Worlds Collide/After Worlds Collide, by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer. They are one story in two novels, written in the early 1930's. Excellent story!!

And while we're on the post-apocalyptic genre, if you all don't mind a bit of shameless self-promotion here, I'd like to recommend my novel, The Pale Horse. It is a story of a catastrophic act of destruction and the aftermath. It is very long but those who have read it say that is very good. A lot of the action takes place in Kansas and Oklahoma. It is on amazon kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GAZCLQU?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom