Scope mount for 91/30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumur

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, searched the forum and didn't see anything.

Who makes a really good scope mount for the 91/30 that doesn't require me to change the bolt?

Any ideas?

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
**I have not done this, only read about others' experiences**

There was info on OSA, and other forums also, about taking off the rear sight assembly from the 91/30 rifle, and there is a flat section of the barrel underneath. I think the folks used 11mm scope bases to attach to this "rail" in order to mount a long eye relief optic . I'd try Google for more info.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never tried it with a M91/30, but I used a S&K scout mount on a Finnish M39, and it worked well for retaining a scope. If you haven't used such a rig before though, I suggest you try it first before spending the cash. I found the rig to be unsatisfactory, since the scope is so far up front - the FOV is tiny, and getting the cross hairs centered visually can be an interesting task. I got rid of the S&K soon after.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago i had a scope mount that was a replica of those PU mount but with a pic rail instead of the rings. I bought a bolt body with the handle turned down like the original snipers and it was really easy to swap bolt bodies and unclamp the scope mount to change it back to factory (minus the mount plate). I recommend that but im not sure if those are made anymore.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The rear sight mount uses the attachment points of the rear sight base. Depending on the vintage of the 91/30, you may be able to remove the rear sight leaf and spring, and use the leaf pivot holes for the scout mount, plus an already D/T hole in the rear of the base. It just depends on the design of the scout mount and the rifle's vintage, but there are several mount designs that do NOT require any gun smithing.

Again though, I recommend you try shooting such a rig before plunking down the coin. It's certainly not as easy to use as a conventional mount further back on the receiver.

TDannar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I removed the rear sight on my Mosin. It was silver soldered under the sight and I did have to heat the sight with a map gas torch. Didn't take much but did have to get the solder warm to remove the sight. I hear that some are not soldered. I did not think mine was, but it wouldnt budge after removing the pins. A little heat and it came right off. You may need to do a little re-bluing under where the sight was mounted.

You have to use a long eye relief scope for this configuration. They are common.

Mosin Scoped 2.jpg

Last edited:

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sight on my 91/30 came off very easily. I also mounted a long eye relief scope on it as described above. Worked well.

Mount is a UTG air gun mount. And the scope is NC Star 2-7x32 long eye relief. About $60 for both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom