Scout Rifle Scope....suggestions??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle that I am thinking about finally putting a scout scope on, instead of a normal scope. Any suggestions about scopes? Did a little research, and seems that Weaver and
Leupold, seem to be the main 2 that make one that isnt really cheap.

Just wondering if anyone has one that they would recommend that wouldnt break the bank.

Thanks

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've looked into getting a Ruger Scout a few times. What I like about them is the compact size, magazines, Mauser action and they are already threaded. I know Cooper sneezed out more gun knowledge than I'll ever have but I don't understand the forward optic concept as it applies to practical shooting. If I bought one, I'd get the one piece base extension and put a Nikon M308 on it. Sorry, I know that wasn't the question.

What kinds of groups can you get out of yours?

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Erick, the forward optic concept as envisioned by Cooper moved the optic from over the action so that the magazine could be charged from the top via stripper clips. Many of the early rifles that he and his friends based the scout rifle concept upon were cut down Mausers with the the stripper clip guides already machined into the receiver. This wouldn't be of any practical benefit on the GSR as I don't believe that it is machined with stripper clip guides in the receiver. To the OP's original question, the Leupold is a fine scope for a scout rifle, and I think there is a Burris scout model as well. Weaver scopes are usually less expensive than the other two scopes mentioned, but they offer quite good value for the money spent.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the 18" stainless version of it, and I mounted a Hi-Lux 3-9 on mine, and love it. I also added a JP Enterprises recoil eliminator, and love that addition as well. It shoots great. I can put hole in a hole @ 50yds with it between the 2 when I do my part.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Erick, the forward optic concept as envisioned by Cooper moved the optic from over the action so that the magazine could be charged from the top via stripper clips. Many of the early rifles that he and his friends based the scout rifle concept upon were cut down Mausers with the the stripper clip guides already machined into the receiver. This wouldn't be of any practical benefit on the GSR as I don't believe that it is machined with stripper clip guides in the receiver. To the OP's original question, the Leupold is a fine scope for a scout rifle, and I think there is a Burris scout model as well. Weaver scopes are usually less expensive than the other two scopes mentioned, but they offer quite good value for the money spent.

The forward mount scope for stripper clip loading, as with just about every other aspect of the "scout rifle" as described by Cooper, is pretty much obsolete. I don't get them at all. But there's a gun for everyone.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine currently has a Nikon Prostaff with BDC mounted normally on it. It comes with Ruger scope rings, you just have to remove the rear site. Never actually measured the groups, but it shoots better than i do. My guess would be close to MOA, if not at it. And the GSR is made to where u can top load, although not with stripper clips. I like it because it is short, and light. I have a cousin that drools over it every time he sees it, but he is right-handed, so not good enough to have mine. ;)

Just been curious to try the scout setup on it. With the muzzle break that comes on it, I haven't been bothered by the recoil yet.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28 mounted on my Marlin 30-30 in a scout configuration. Loved that setup, was great for hunting and moving targets because it let you keep both eyes open and working at all times. I am planning to order another scope for my new 30-30 here soon.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I believe field of view and quick target acquisition were the bigger reasons for advocating a forward-mounted low-power scope. The scout rifle concept wasn't meant to be a long-range precision platform.

I really want to get my hands on a GSR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom