Selling a gun that is registered to me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am selling to a private party and the firearm is registered to me as I bought it new at Fred Bakers several years ago. Do I just need a signed bill of sale to show that I nno longer own this gun in the event it were ever involved in a crime or is there a procedure I need to follow to get my name off of the record as the owner?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am selling to a private party and the firearm is registered to me as I bought it new at Fred Bakers several years ago. Do I just need a signed bill of sale to show that I nno longer own this gun in the event it were ever involved in a crime or is there a procedure I need to follow to get my name off of the record as the owner?
This has been discussed on OSA several times. Have you tried doing a thread search?

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

There is NO GUN REGISTRATION in Oklahoma. A 4473 does NOT REGISTER YOUR GUN. Repeat, there is NO GUN REGISTRATION in Oklahoma. NONE. PERIOD.

You need to sell it to a OK resident and not be aware that the person can't own guns for some reason. That's it!

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is NO GUN REGISTRATION in Oklahoma. A 4473 does NOT REGISTER YOUR GUN. Repeat, there is NO GUN REGISTRATION in Oklahoma. NONE. PERIOD.

You need to sell it to a OK resident and not be aware that the person can't own guns for some reason. That's it!
Ok, thanks. I figured since I filled out papers that there was a record somewhere that I owned that gun so if said gun were later used in a crime it could be tracked back to me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If ATF did a trace on your gun, it would always come back to you as the original purchaser from the dealer it was shipped to from the manufacturer/distributor. Even if you had the gun transferred to the new owner by another dealer, this would never come up during an ATF trace. Those records are held by the dealer only, and ATF will store them if the dealer ever goes out of business. As stated, there is no gun registration in OK.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Its always going to be there. Even if you do a transfer at another dealer the original sale will alwaus be to you. Nothing will change that. If you want you can do a bill of sale but it isn't necessary.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If ATF did a trace on your gun, it would always come back to you as the original purchaser from the dealer it was shipped to from the manufacturer/distributor. Even if you had the gun transferred to the new owner by another dealer, this would never come up during an ATF trace. Those records are held by the dealer only, and ATF will store them if the dealer ever goes out of business. As stated, there is no gun registration in OK.
Exactly! The ATF would never use those records that are turned over to them to build a database of owners.

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom