Senator Coburn's Wastebook

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry but I have to stand by my post. Yes I know how long the B52 has been serving and how well they are maintained, I also know that no matter how well they are taken care of after so many years small cracks start appearing in airframes and other problems appear that are not found until one crashes killing crew or civilians on the ground. It does not happen often but it does happen.

We need a more logical way to pick and purchase just about everything the government buys. By the time it goes through congress and the purchasing chain it has become a nightmare for all involved especially the taxpayer.

Those cracks you mention? That's part of the maintenance I was referring to. At a place I used to work we quoted building brand spanking new spars, ribs, stringers, longerons, etc. for the B-52. The package comprised every structural component in the wings. It seems that all the low altitude bombing we did in the gulf war took it's toll in the old birds which were designed for high altitude bombing runs. A lot of variables go into whether they do refurbs like that and cost isn't the only one. Whether the aircraft's further use fits in the future of our operations and whether a suitable more modern replacement plays a huge roll.

Like I mentioned, there is a HUGE amount of "back scratching" that goes on with defense contracts. As royally screwed up as the process is, it really isn't as bad as it seems to those that haven't been involved in it. But there's no doubt that huge improvements could be made, I do give that. It'd be plain stoopid not to! :D

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those cracks you mention? That's part of the maintenance I was referring to. At a place I used to work we quoted building brand spanking new spars, ribs, stringers, longerons, etc. for the B-52. The package comprised every structural component in the wings. It seems that all the low altitude bombing we did in the gulf war took it's toll in the old birds which were designed for high altitude bombing runs. A lot of variables go into whether they do refurbs like that and cost isn't the only one. Whether the aircraft's further use fits in the future of our operations and whether a suitable more modern replacement plays a huge roll.

Like I mentioned, there is a HUGE amount of "back scratching" that goes on with defense contracts. As royally screwed up as the process is, it really isn't as bad as it seems to those that haven't been involved in it. But there's no doubt that huge improvements could be made, I do give that. It'd be plain stoopid not to! :D

Personally I think we should still be building updated Buffs at a slow yearly type pace. Just update the design as new engines, electronics, etc become available. I feel the same about the A-10, etc. Until something really better comes along we need to keep producing the various types at a slow pace that keeps the aircraft fresh, the factories open, and the people working.

We also need to get rid of the "Gee Wiz, all or nothing" mentality. Not every conflict we get involved in is going to need the hottest jet fighter in the world, and not every one will need COIN capabilities. We need a mix of aircraft to handle what ever conflict we find ourselves in and to my mind that includes a stronger defense of the USA itself.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cause some of ya'll would ***** if you were hung with a new rope. Coburn knows his one vote in the Senate won't change the way the dirtbags operate. He hopes that by bringing it to your attention, he'll get some support to start turning things around. Instead, he gets criticism. He asked me to tell you "Thanks for all your help".

New ropes suck. They are all itchy and cause your neck to break out.

You can tell Coburn, "you're welcome".

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time the govt is involved, there's backscratching going on. That's why we're in the mess we are. It's all about greed and selfishness. Not a single one of them in DC does a damn thing to benefit the American people or the country on their own.

Sent from HT's iPad using Tapatalk HD

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I think we should still be building updated Buffs at a slow yearly type pace. Just update the design as new engines, electronics, etc become available. I feel the same about the A-10, etc. Until something really better comes along we need to keep producing the various types at a slow pace that keeps the aircraft fresh, the factories open, and the people working.

We also need to get rid of the "Gee Wiz, all or nothing" mentality. Not every conflict we get involved in is going to need the hottest jet fighter in the world, and not every one will need COIN capabilities. We need a mix of aircraft to handle what ever conflict we find ourselves in and to my mind that includes a stronger defense of the USA itself.

Possibly, but that simply is not what happens. The AF has tried to kill the A-10 since before it was built. There is a bill afoot now to Congressionally prohibit the AF from retiring them once again. The BUFF was designed for high altitude nuclear munitions delivery and the fact that it is still operational is a testament to the design and maintenance performed. However in 2018 the design will be 70 years old. The COIN aircraft really don't exist, with the exception of some Super Ts that we bought for the Iraq AF, along with some C-208s.

I recommend looking into COL John Boyd. Interesting take on the way this really works.

Latest posts

Top Bottom