Seriously, what would it take to fix the VA???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one ever gets fired from the .gov Even if they did tear it down, it would be rebuilt with the same people.

Not sure if I posted this before but...I got a diagnosis from the VA about an issue. I called a local hospital (KU Med) that is respected in the field for a second opinion. The very first thing they asked me is if I had Obamacare or real insurance.

On a side note to that, KU Med told me a second opinion from them about anything told to me by the local VA would be redundant. It would be the same doctors. KU Med uses the VA here as their teaching hospital.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tear it down and start with a new model with no political appointees or friends. Tier the services and with achievable results in fixed time rates. Fire everyone not getting the job done. They never fire at the VA. They promote.
That's pretty much what needs to happen. They need to bring in non government managers. Folks from the private sector that have actually ran health care systems. Keeping it under the civil service cloak just makes things worse.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mean to disparage any race, but some of the foreign doctors they have....you can't understand them, they seemingly don't care about the patient, forget to follow up on a prescription they issued, fail to properly tell a patient what a medication is or the contraindications of the medicine.
In my case the MD prescribed a medication by a different name (same drug) that had no effect on me. Had he told me what it was, the VA wouldn't have gone to needless expense of issuing the medication and sending it through the mail.
I'm sure his happens a lot and overall quite expensive to mail a medication out that will never be used.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish somebody would fix it. My VA Dr. Submitted a prescription to the OKC VA pharmacy on August 3.
To date it still shows "in process" after several calls to the pharmacy.
Since I live over 100 miles from the VA, I got the card that authorizes use of a local Dr. It has to be pre approved before going on a case by case basis.
I used it once three months ago. The VA has still not paid the provider, so I'm getting the bills now. Recently saw a news report that said a lot of providers have not been paid nation wide, so my issue is widespread.
Welcome to socialized medicine.
I got the prescription on Sept 3. A month later. Great service.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is sad to say but one has to stay on top of the VA, they aren't responsible for our health, we are. You can't go in and expect them to fill an Rx automatically, you have to tell them what you want and then followup on line to see if they did their job.
I once told a retired Col (MD) at the OKC VA that I was responsible for my health and he argued that he was responsible. He was wrong, we have to take care of our own health-they can't.
All the politicians say they'll fix the VA system and make sure America's veterans are treated wit the respect due and have first class medical care but so far no one has actually stepped up to the job. I had a shoulder replacement and the nurses were great but the room was deplorable, privacy curtain torn and ragged, it was sort of like a room set up in the middle of a goodwill store and the food was inedible. One veteran in the room refused to eat the food it was so bad. How they can get good food and then screw up the end product is beyond me, scrambled eggs should be hard to mess up but they somehow manage to screw scrambled eggs up. Maybe that is one way of getting the vets to leave the hospital early? If you ever go to the OKC VA Hospital to visit someone and they can have a normal diet, take them a meal from Olive Garden, Spencer's BBQ etc, they'll always remember you and be grateful.

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I firmly believe in the old adage that an organization takes on the personality of its leaders. Look at our CiC and then wonder why they don't follow the rules and lie to Vets. It's just another corrupt politically appointed run organization that runs just barely well enough to keep from getting shut down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom