SGAmmo in Stillwater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello OKshooters

Yes I understand the no local retail pick option thing is annoying to some, especially to those who live very close. Honestly if it makes someone feel that the deal is not fair then they should probably buy the ammo elsewhere. The issue is a little more complicated then what you possibly perceive. Its really more about privacy than anything else, but security and efficiency come into play as well. My current warehouse is located directly behind my home on a property zoned for commercial & residential, so having customers come pick up there order would be the same as having them come to my home. I really do not feel comfortable about having strangers stopping by to buy ammo being that I have two children who spend a lot of time outside in the same yard as the warehouse. Additionally I just don't want people stopping in and treating it like an ammo convenience store. We used to allow select customers to stop here and pick up by appointment, however it got out of hand to the point where people we had never spoken to before would just stop by because they hear we had ammo for sale and they wanted to look around and see what we had, it just got very uncomfortable and eventually it had to come to an end. Right now my plate is full and working 98-105 hour work weeks, managing 3 employees, 2-3 LTL semi trucks coming in a day, two full semis a week, 300-600 web orders and packages a day, and trying to maintain some interaction with my family other than what we share through our work. There just is no time to take on a whole new business model. We use the E-commerce business model only where all orders must ship through the same process because it allows us to serve all of our clients quickly, efficiently, fairly and in proper turn. The bright side is that we did recently purchase a new warehouse that is away from the home and after we have moved, adjusted, and settled in there and E-commerce is running smoothly again, then the local pick up option may become available. I really would like to better serve our Stillwater area customers in that regard but this will take time and development, and when it happens it will certainly not be a storefront experience, just a narrow time frame once or twice a week when pick up orders that are made online will be available for pick up. I honestly think that if anyone lives more than 30 miles away its still cheaper to ship if you calculate depreciation on your vehicle, cost of fuel and the value of your time, additionally the convenience of have UPS do all the leg work is really worth something in itself

Regards

sam

huskres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually talked to a guy about you guys yesterday regarding this. The pickup customers would definitely slow you guys down when they come in and want to ask tons of questions where you could have shipped a dozen orders in that same amount of time. You guys do have great prices though! When will you be in Tulsa next at a show?

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SGAmmo, I appreciate that you came on here and explained your policy, even though you didn't have to.

You just shipped me a small order yesterday. Looks like it will arrive here in OKC today. Thanks for shipping the same day I ordered, that's beyond awesome service.

I will continue to buy small batches from you. Your prices on SD ammo are really good. However, I'm still buying practice and play ammo locally. I'd buy that from you, as well, if I could stock up and come pick it up. The price difference isn't that great, and shipping would make those purchases cost more than Bass Pro.

I hope that you find a solution so that your Okie customers can will call their orders.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair enough, and I can appreciate you not wanting people to show up with the warehouse being that close to your residence.

My major beef would be the shipping; it's common for companies to do flat rate, but it's tough to pay cross country shipping just a few counties away, along with sales tax on top of it. I have a coworker who's son goes to OSU, and he comes home on the weekends. We figured if/when a will call window opens, we can both place an order, have his son pick it up and bring it back. Hopefully that will work out in the future.

Thanks for the explanation.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a fan of SGAmmo. Not sure what you other guys are paying but I read the statement that "buying from SG and paying shipping makes it higher than Bass Pro" i say horse hockey. I recently placed an order with SG and for close to a $1000 of ammo shipping was like $57 bucks. My time is worth way more than that. I for one will continue to seek the best price out there and SGAmmo will always be a site I check. In quantity there prices on some ammo is the best I have found.

Carry on gentlemen.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a fan of SGAmmo. Not sure what you other guys are paying but I read the statement that "buying from SG and paying shipping makes it higher than Bass Pro" i say horse hockey. I recently placed an order with SG and for close to a $1000 of ammo shipping was like $57 bucks. My time is worth way more than that. I for one will continue to seek the best price out there and SGAmmo will always be a site I check. In quantity there prices on some ammo is the best I have found.

Carry on gentlemen.

Maybe, but your state sales tax would be around $80. That’s no slight against SG – we have to pay the state sales tax. But that has to be considered as well.

I have no problem patronizing them if the price is right for me.

smokeyokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe, but your state sales tax would be around $80. That’s no slight against SG – we have to pay the state sales tax. But that has to be considered as well.

I have no problem patronizing them if the price is right for me.

I would agree that total cost is what you have to consider. However in the case of my recent order all prices were lower than local prices I had found in OKC and even a little cheaper than Dirt, Natchez, & Ammoman.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sam,
I've bought a fair bit of stuff from you guys over the last couple years. I understand exactly where you are coming from on this. While the lack of local pickups is a bit of an irritation that will change when it becomes feasible for you guys to do so. I hope that day comes sooner rather than later.

Much, MUCH respect to you guys for bootstrapping yourselves up in a very cut-throat and competitive business. I wish y'all the best.

---------

cjjtulsa ,
I don't know you from Adam but if you were to go out on a limb, start an ammunition sales business and then start having regular fantastic sales and local pickups I would be your most faithful customer right up until you closed your doors! If you decide to do this please send me sales flyer number one. ;)

Ek

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely want to support locally-owned (and family-owned) businesses, and I'd gladly buy much more frequently from SGAmmo if they allowed local pick-up. They sound like a great business, and it's a classy move to join the forum and participate -- welcome!

Latest posts

Top Bottom