Sh*t just got real

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Because this isn't about shipping oil by sea, it's about piping natural gas to Europe overland. Its a long term gambit to cut Putin's (Gazprom) output to and control over NG sales in Europe. It isn't so much about getting $800M in oil (though I'm sure they got it from ISIS at below market rates), it's about funding ISIS against Putin's proxy (Assad).

Ding ding ding... look it up if you don't believe it, folks.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We don't intercede in Sudan or Nigeria, despite the atrocities there being as bad or worse than Syria. Why? Because they have no impact on global energy movement.
Nigeria is a big petroleum producer, and, IIRC, they actually produce the light sweet crude that our refineries are set up to process...

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about Nigeria, but you are backwards on the refinery capability in the U.S. We are primarily setup for heavy sour crude. We are geting better though.
You're probably right; I just remember reading that Nigerian oil was more important to us than Middle Eastern oil because it was of the type that we were set up to refine. Of course, that was about ten years ago (around the time of Katrina), so I could easily be mistaken on all of it...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nigeria is a big petroleum producer, and, IIRC, they actually produce the light sweet crude that our refineries are set up to process...

Does Boko Haram target Nigeria's petroleum production or transport? No, they target a remote section of the country in the Northeast. The day they target the petroleum production is the day the U.S. will get interested in stopping them. :(

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does Boko Haram target Nigeria's petroleum production or transport? No, they target a remote section of the country in the Northeast. The day they target the petroleum production is the day the U.S. will get interested in stopping them. :(
Maybe after 2016. 'Til then, I'm sure the best we'd get is a #Don'tBombOurOil campaign... ;)

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it boils down to Obama, he destabilized nearly every Midwestern country and then he headed for Syria to establish his caliphate, the muslim brotherhood-incidentally some reside in our white House. He wants Assad removed and has been funding the Syrian rebels, ISIS and Al-Quaida in an effort to overthrow Assad. So far Obama has been a dismal failure b both her at home and in his attempts to oust Assad. Assad wasn't bother the United States, he wasn't bothering anyone that I know of but he was allowing Christians to live in peace within Syria.
Then along come Obama and his multiplicity of faces and tried to overthrow Assad. Christians were being beheaded right and left, their homes and those of other muslims were destroyed and he golfed or campaigned while others died. Then ISIS claims responsibility for blowing a Russian airliner out of the sky killing all passengers so Russia is involved. Then came the Paris stadium blowout in France and they are involved. Between Russia and France decided to attack ISIS and in a few short weeks have done more to curtail ISIS than the United States has done in nearly eight years.
Now Obama is blowing smoke again and telling Russia to lay off because he wants Assad out and the two nations that were attacked aren't going to stop until ISI is a shadow of it's former self. Obama isn't on anyone's side but the Syrian Rebels, ISIS and muslim brotherhood. Whether it expands to a WWIII only God knows because we sure don't know much about what is happening except what the media tells us. Im for letting Russia and France duke it out with ISIS, they are doing the job so far and don't need our help.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, the problem is with Iran, ISIS and Saudi Arabia. Two of these fund terrorism and the other one does terrorism. And, here we are fighting Russia over Assad. We're getting into the wrong fight for the wrong reasons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom