Shock and Tagged fish for Walleye Rodeo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like fun. How much voltage do the crank telephones create?

My uncle was a lineman for Bell Telephone since shortly after WW2.
He is gone now, but when in high school I remember going over to his house, and looking at some of the old crank phones he was getting traded in for the new fangled dial phones he was installing.
Back in the day, ringdown voltage was 90V DC. Since it was a generator, the faster you cranked it, the higher the voltage got.(as I'm sure you well know) I never had a chance to put a volt meter on it, but it had to be at least 90V at normal cranking speeds. I know that when I had the leads in my hand, and just turned it a little, it was like getting hit with a hammer.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is amazing what you shock up when you are electro fishing. I have shocked 2 lakes twice in the last year with the ODWC staff and their shocker boat. Our best fish was a 62.5 pound grass carp that is still sunbathing last time I saw it in March. You can quickly determine what kind of lake you have. Be it a sunfish lake, a bass lake or a well balanced fishery.

Catfish are swarming all over the dam right now at Canton. The channels are spawning.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll do a search for the youtube video I seen awhile back of them shocking the Mississippi River looking for them Asian carp. Game department had like 6 boats out and when they hit the juice you could hear the poping and after a moment the water boiled with fish. I wanna say 98% was the carp and then all the boats drove around with nets scooping up all the fish. They killed every carp and it was HUNDREDS if not a couple THOUSAND of them. At the end of the video it shows they filled a dump truck full of them pesky carp.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Locals had fish filets and didn't know it? Just joking, thats a lot of Carp.

From what I have read them Asian carp are really hard to kill with poisons and they bread quicker than any other carp and can reach 80#. I love watching them bow fish for them as they jump outa the water when scared. Hope they never end up here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom