Shooting portion of the CCL class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

en4cer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We shot at 3-5-7 yds. 2 people at a time. 2 mags each. 10 shots each station up and back. 10 people max in each class. Instructor was thorough and instructive before, during and after the range work. It was a pleasure and I enjoyed it.

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I took my at H&H we did mags loaded with 5 rounds each with a total of 50 rounds fired. All fired at 5 yards I believe. We just had to demonstrate safe weapon handling and we passed.

ChuckC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our instructor said he didn't even care if we hit the target. Just don't shoot the ceiling or try and be cute and shoot a smiley face or something. I think a lady had a malfunction or two and the instructor stopped us and cleared it for her.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. And yet ... in every single solitary class I was ever a part of, SOMEONE pointed a loaded gun at a classmate, an instructor or themselves ... It defies explanation ...

When I took mine, we shot 5 rounds and reload 10 times to complete our 50 rounds. 16 people in the class. 3!!!!!!!!! had been to gun show the previous saturday and bought their firearm. 2 were still in the box and no idea how to drop the mag to load. We had 1 blessed gentlman was 86 yrs young shows up with a nice 3" S&W Model 19of his 50 rounds, he hit his target 12. He hit A target 38 times. I had 2 people between he and I. My target had 54 holes in it. 4 were .38 and 50 were .45. He passed, thankfully the other 3 didn't.

The instructor said 27 times "DO NOT point a gun at me or any other person" Guess, which 3 pointed at him?

Last edited:

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically, range rules for the SDA course state (and this is on the test they give you that you must make a 70%), if you experience a malfunction, raise your off hand, weapon pointed down range and the RO/instructor will clear it for you. I dont agree with this because the instructor is checking your familiarity with firearms. The actual shooting portion according to CLEET consist of loading 5 rounds, and on command firing 5 rounds down range and into the target, repeating two more times for a total of 15 at 3 yards. Repeat at the 5 yard line, no time limit for either. the additional 20 rounds are two 5 round strings at 3 and 5 yards, 10 sec time limit at the 3 yard, 15 at the five yard. However, I imagine most just look for safe gun handling.

JustPlainStrange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you have to demonstrate is the ability to handle a weapon, oh, excuse me, "firearm" safely. As long as she keeps the muzzle pointed downrange, her finger off the trigger and follows the range master's instructions, she will be fine. (Please ask her to wear a t-shirt that has a high, rounded neck -- v-tops are just asking for trouble. Oh, and take a cap to put on. It will help keep any wayward brass off of her ...)
This wasn't the case in our class. One Hmong fellow made sure to muzzle sweep everyone else at least 3-4 times. I almost lost it when he looked down the barrel of the loaner Ruger Mark II when it wouldn't fire (it was on safety). He and everyone else passed, no lie. I was severely disappointed in the class.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the CLEET SDA handbook (in my hand) the SDA requirement is 2 ten-second limit five-shot strings at 3 yards, and 2 fifteen-second limit five-shot strings at five yards.
The targets are not scored.
Violation of ANY of the rules (covered in graded safety section) will result in the violator's removal from the firing line or expulsion from the range. (pg 26 of CLEET lesson plan).

I follow the CLEET lesson plan, and am disappointed to hear that others don't.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was pretty disappointed in the quality of our class. The firing line was untimed, 5 rounds at a time, at 21 ft. The 3 that "failed", he basically just told them "they would need to sign up for his basics class, immediately after our class, $65 each, and then they would pass." Don't know if any of the 3 signed up.

BamaAlum97

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took my class at 2A...we shot at 3, 5, and 7 yards 5 rounds at a time...we did do some rapid fire with the last round of shots being 5 shots in 5 seconds.

There was no requirement to even hit the paper...just demonstrate safety. We shot in 2 goups of 5 or 6 people...I did not notice any safety issues in my group. I was very happy with my class and with my instructor.

nos8ed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The object of the shooting portion isn't to check your accuracy, it is to check that you can handle the firearm safely. 50 rounds at 5-7 yards on a 4'x2' target. Don't shoot yourself, the instructor, other students, or any cows that may be in the general area.

This. But it was goats. LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom