Shotgun Ammo ? for 870 Remington

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crag83

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All,

I am going coyote hunting here after the first of the year and I have a Remington 870 Express Super Magnum Pump Shotgun. I have been trying to research what type of ammo would be best for coyote hunting. I have moderate choke, so I was thinking that I should use slugs to get more range. Any thoughts?

Craig

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy, i have never shot buck shot very far. for conversation, a 2 3/4 inch 12 gauge 00 buckshot has 9 - 32 caliber pellets in it. It seems to me that those 9 pellets are going to spread out quite a bit - a whole lot after, say 30, 40 yards. And, that 2 2/4 shells kicks quite a lot.

i am shooting a 870 express. Now- shooting a slug out of this smooth bore shotgun is really on at 50 yards. a 3" pattern with iron sights. these are plain jane remington slugs. I also can get a pretty good pattern at 100 yards. I am positive that buckshot will not have a tight enough pattern to kill a coyote at 100 yards plus at what distance does the kenetic energy deminish to the point it will not kill?

so imo, the slug would give you more of a chance. be sure you spend the time and sight in your gun with the slug you are going to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom