Shotgun info for a scattergun noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, and found it be a complete piece of ****.

+1. I was not impressed by the Knoxx at all. I bought one, installed it, fired it a few times, didn't like it, removed it, sold it and installed a factory remington synthetic stock with an R3 recoil pad. I am much happier with the stock I have now. If your Knoxx works good for you that is great, but they do not work for everyone.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProBusiness
But let me ask you seriously, other than looks, is there an advantage to going tatical vs. standard stock and forearm on a 870?

Thanks.

Shorter Length of Pull (LOP). A 10"-11" stock results in a much more comfortable and controllable gun for most folks. "Stock" stocks work, but after using the shorter ones, I'd never go back.

Rob72 - while we are on the subject of LOP - I am 6'3". Shoot a lot of skeet. have had guns professionally fitted. My least amount of LOP for shooting a shotgun is 15 3/8. any shorter and my nose and lips are pressing aganist the back of my right hand palm/thumb and makes for a nasty "punch" via recoil. And most of the skeet, trap, and sporting clays shooters have their guns likewise fitted (not 15 3/8 LOP but comparable for their size). If the back of your right hand slams into your nose and lips every time you shoot, you start to flinch very badly and can't hit any target. Just some information.

Thanks and have a great (hot) day.
Sorry, Pro, guess I wasn't clear- when you said "tactical", I think "pistol-grip stock." What that would mean for you is that instead of the "chicken-wing" form, with the shooting side elbow thrown out to take a proper grip on the straight stock, the PG stock allows you to tuck the elbow into your side. This decreases your profile, solidifies your muscle mass behind the stock, and makes it easier to move through confined spaces.

Being 5" taller than me, a 12" LOP might be closer to "right" for you, but with the PG stock, you can take cheekweld right up to the conjunction of the stock and the receiver- no thumb-slap. Very different stance than skeet.:)

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would stay with a remmy or a mossy in 12 guage. New or used it really doesn't matter, but the days of the 200.00 wingmaster are over. The remmy express would be my choice. If recoil is a problem, cut the stock and put on a pad. Tac stuff can be fun but rarely can replace experience. I grew up bird hunting in western OK, so shotgunning is second nature to me and was taught by one of the best, my dad. He was very deadly with his Ithica 37 16 guage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom