Shotgun info for a scattergun noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the country so I need something for in home protection as well as protecting property and livestock around the place.
Here's what I have and would suggest.
I bought a Winchester Defender pump shotgun back when they were $199 anywhere in town, don't know what they go for now. They have a long tube on them which holds (6) 3" shells or (7) 2 3/4" ones. They are a recoil assisted pump, you pull the trigger and the action opens about half way, just finish the rearward motion and slam it shut again. It's almost as fast as a semi-auto. On the load issue: buckshot is great, BUT any stray pellets can penetrate walls and endanger other people in the house or the neighbors. I had and NRA combat shotgun instructor tell me to load with high brass duck or turkey loads, they are just as deadly in close quarters and since less mass than buckshot the pellets slow down fast when going thru sheetrock. The first 2-3 rounds in the gun are turkey loads, the remainder are buckshot. If you shoot the 2-3 bird loads and have to keep shooting then you are in real deep stuff and then you need not worry about over penetration but survival. Put one of those shell carriers on the stock with some slugs and you are good for about any situation. Also when the lawyers get involved it might be a little easier to say you used hunting loads not "man killer" loads. IMHO
My second thought is to get a old used 20 ga double barrel, like a Savage or Fox. The smaller person, man or woman, can handle the recoil a little better. The intimidation factor of pointing a double barrel at someone comes into play if confronted during daylight hours.
:twocents:

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Redmule, no offense, but the instructor was wrong. While any shot size CAN be lethal, nothing smaller than #4 Buck is RELIABLE. No size of bird shot is "asl deadly" as proper defensive ammo.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to go wrong with a Maverick 88.
20", 8 round, should be $225 or so.
A lot of the parts swap with the Mossy 500.
Spend the extra on buckshot loads to test out.

FTW

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington 870, Mossberg 500 series, Winchester 1300-all of them are easily customized with all sorts of goodies-stocks, barrels, sidesaddles, extended magazines, flashlight mounts, etc. It should be easy to find one used or new under $250 and fit what ever you want on it.

Exactly what I would say.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good information about using birdshot.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

I'm not willing to trust my life to birdshot if I need to employ a scattergun.

That was the document I was looking for! It recommends #1 buck for home defense:

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 ¾-inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice. We feel the Federal Classic 2 ¾-inch #1 buck load (F127) is slightly better than the same loads offered by Remington and Winchester. The Federal shotshell uses both a plastic shot cup and granulated plastic shot buffer to minimize post-ignition pellet deformation, whereas the Remington and Winchester loads do not.

Torch Red Tulsan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a used Mossberg 500 at a local pawn shop for a few hundred dollars with the long barrel and then went to a gun store and bought the 18" barrel for under $100. The 18" is great for around the house and the longer barrel has interchangeable chokes for various hunting purposes. Plus the handle and foregrip are easily swapped.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up a used Mossberg 500 at a local pawn shop for a few hundred dollars with the long barrel and then went to a gun store and bought the 18" barrel for under $100. The 18" is great for around the house and the longer barrel has interchangeable chokes for various hunting purposes. Plus the handle and foregrip are easily swapped.

That's basically what I did...Picked a used, but good condition Mossy 500a with a long ported barrel on it. The wood was a little rough, but the metal finish was good. I think I gave $185 for it. I purchased a parkerized 18.5" barrel from a guy that sells gun parts and barrels at one of the gun shows in OKC for $90. I can switch barrels on it by just opening the action, unscrewing the barrel from the mag tube, and then screwing on the other barrel. Takes less than a minute.

Unfortunately, since I can't leave well enough alone, I am currently debating whether or not to give it the "tacti-cool" look with a stock upgrade and maybe some duracoat.

Redmule454

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Redmule, no offense, but the instructor was wrong. While any shot size CAN be lethal, nothing smaller than #4 Buck is RELIABLE. No size of bird shot is "asl deadly" as proper defensive ammo.

No offense taken. I did check out the link: http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

And this is what I found, which is what I was trying to say. I was also saying that the turkey or duck load (not the standard quail load) would be effective but less likely to penetrate the walls of a house and potentially hurt others than buckshot .

"If you're worried that a missed shot might penetrate through a wall and harm others, load your shotgun so that the first one or two cartridges to be fired is number 6 or smaller birdshot, followed by standard lead #1 buckshot (12 gauge) or #3 buckshot (20 gauge). If your first shot misses, the birdshot is less likely to endanger innocent lives outside the room. If your first shot fails to stop the attacker, you can immediately follow-up with more potent ammunition"

And I did learn something from this, the #1 Buck is a better round for home defense. More lethal and less chance of over penentration than #00 Buck.
Time to put the turkey loads back in the box and get out the #1s, I just happen to have a box of them.

Who sez that us old dogs (mules) can't learn new tricks! :sunbath:

Latest posts

Top Bottom