Shotgun world

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to shotgun world. I just bought a mossberg 500 with pistol grip 18 1/2" barrel with door breecher, what shotgun ammunition should I buy? Home And personal defense is main purpose and of course anti take overs of any kind

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look for the five round boxes marked 00 BUCK 2 3/4" long shells. I've seen them sold containing 9 pellets of 00, or 12 pellets. Either of these are best for defense, I believe. I'd buy at least four boxes and test fire some at different distances like 10 yds, 20, 30 or so. See what the spread pattern looks like out of your shotgun. Take full size silhouette targets with you for the field test. When the distance is so far pellets miss the paper, you'll know about what your best maximum effective range is going to be. All pellets need to be on the silhouette for best results, I believe. Good luck.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look for the five round boxes marked 00 BUCK 2 3/4" long shells. I've seen them sold containing 9 pellets of 00, or 12 pellets. Either of these are best for defense, I believe. I'd buy at least four boxes and test fire some at different distances like 10 yds, 20, 30 or so. See what the spread pattern looks like out of your shotgun. Take full size silhouette targets with you for the field test. When the distance is so far pellets miss the paper, you'll know about what your best maximum effective range is going to be. All pellets need to be on the silhouette for best results, I believe. Good luck.

When firing the 9shot 00buck look for the flyer. 1 pellet usually decides that he's on his own. That is why i prefer the 8 shot 00buck, no flyer.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the low-recoil myself, but lets be honest. In a house God forbid you have to use it for SD, your biggest worry is going to be the clean up.

green_machine2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've heard heard #4 shot,#2 shot, but I keep 3" 00 in mine. shooting for fun get some Walmart #7-#8 2 3/4 inch. shoots easy. and on that shorty the extra weight of a loaded side saddle helps recoil.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got the exact same shotgun. The pistol grip is a pain to shoot in 00 buck, the recoil is almost dangerous. I've gone to extra lite load from Wal-mart. Lot easier to control. If some burgular is standing at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night, it don't matter if its 00 buck or lite load, they still going to get a belly full of lead.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the exact same shotgun. The pistol grip is a pain to shoot in 00 buck, the recoil is almost dangerous. I've gone to extra lite load from Wal-mart. Lot easier to control. If some burgular is standing at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night, it don't matter if its 00 buck or lite load, they still going to get a belly full of lead.

Sweet action

Latest posts

Top Bottom