"Shotguns for Home Protection"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good read, I have some different thoughts. It sounds like most people want one shot lethal, and that is best, but you can shoot them as many times as you want in your house, just make sure they are dead. If someone comes to my house, I automatically assume they have come to kill me and they will probably be proffesionals, and there will be more than one. Two people want to see me dead, and they have money, and I expect them to try. In spite of that, I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared, I have three guns within arms reach of my bed, I carry all day every day, I have guns hidden all over, nobody is coming to steal or burglarize, and if things go well for me, they won't be going to the hospital when they leave. I'm not really worried about going to jail, I'm worried that if I don't kill them, they will be back. All of the guns mentioned are lethal, they're just different tools for different situations, it's the mindset that will make the difference.
One more thing, all this tactical stuff that's in vogue now could work against you, imagine yourself in court trying to defend yourself after you've used a gun, and the uber cool AR is on the table with mags, and lights, and it looks like you went on a spree at Tapco, you look like a gun nut. Compare that to the Model twelve with the Cutts above, that's your duck gun, you weren't looking for someone to kill, sh*t happened. I think the jury is much more likely to believe your self defence story.
That something I never considered but its a very good, legit point.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL... Do better? You pick the light issue to argue and not the main issue of keeping two hands on the rifle at all times? I don't think I'm the one that needs to do better, dude.

Not to mention that I have dogs in the house like many people do. The dogs will know long before me if that "bump" was anything I need to be concerned with. And if it is, I'm gonna stay put and call for help. You know...so I can keep both hands on that 6.5 pound behemoth of a rifle that requires both hands to manage.

And FYI...I don't keep a light on my AR in the house, either. I have plenty of ambient light from nightlights and outdoor lights. But lots of people do. As a matter of fact, many people on this forum will argue that it's absolutely mandatory to have a light on your HD gun.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL... Do better? You pick the light issue to argue and not the main issue of keeping two hands on the rifle at all times? I don't think I'm the one that needs to do better, dude.

Not to mention that I have dogs in the house like many people do. The dogs will know long before me if that "bump" was anything I need to be concerned with. And if it is, I'm gonna stay put and call for help. You know...so I can keep both hands on that 6.5 pound behemoth of a rifle that requires both hands to manage.

And FYI...I don't keep a light on my AR in the house, either. I have plenty of ambient light from nightlights and outdoor lights. But lots of people do. As a matter of fact, many people on this forum will argue that it's absolutely mandatory to have a light on your HD gun.
You brought up the light issue to validate then crawfished after thinking about it. The two hands all the time on a long gun is your idea again. You keep on adding things to my posts and twist it around to something that wasn't said or implied. How did you open the door with 2 hands on your long gun. Did you use your left hand when your dog barks once and your right hand if he barks twice. LOL Ruff Ruff

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good read, I have some different thoughts. It sounds like most people want one shot lethal, and that is best, but you can shoot them as many times as you want in your house, just make sure they are dead. If someone comes to my house, I automatically assume they have come to kill me and they will probably be proffesionals, and there will be more than one. Two people want to see me dead, and they have money, and I expect them to try. In spite of that, I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared, I have three guns within arms reach of my bed, I carry all day every day, I have guns hidden all over, nobody is coming to steal or burglarize, and if things go well for me, they won't be going to the hospital when they leave. I'm not really worried about going to jail, I'm worried that if I don't kill them, they will be back. All of the guns mentioned are lethal, they're just different tools for different situations, it's the mindset that will make the difference.
One more thing, all this tactical stuff that's in vogue now could work against you, imagine yourself in court trying to defend yourself after you've used a gun, and the uber cool AR is on the table with mags, and lights, and it looks like you went on a spree at Tapco, you look like a gun nut. Compare that to the Model twelve with the Cutts above, that's your duck gun, you weren't looking for someone to kill, sh*t happened. I think the jury is much more likely to believe your self defence story.

I think using an AR in a HD shooting and getting charged because of the gun type is pretty much a myth. Especially now in OK. It may have happened but I'm guessing it's pretty rare. Mostly because you're probably covered by "stand your ground" and "castle doctrine" laws.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the long gun guys go get your rifle/shotgun ready and wake up tonight from bed pretend you heard something and not sure what it was and go down the hall (w/2 hands holding rifle) and open that one bedroom door (use 3 hands for this one) that was closed. Then go to the back kitchen door (w/2 hands holding rifle) and open door with third hand to look in the garage. Dont stop there use 3rd hand to open the back garage door (w/2 hands holding rifle). Nope nothing there. Might as well go to the shop (w/2 hands holding rifle and open that door with 3rd hand also. Then next night do it with a revolver. Revolver for the win!!!!!!!!!

You brought up the light issue to validate then crawfished after thinking about it. The two hands all the time on a long gun is your idea again. You keep on adding things to my posts and twist it around to something that wasn't said or implied. How did you open the door with 2 hands on your long gun. Did you use your left hand when your dog barks once and your right hand if he barks twice. LOL Ruff Ruff

Yeah...two hands was my idea. I'll just ignore the stupid from now on.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think using an AR in a HD shooting and getting charged because of the gun type is pretty much a myth. Especially now in OK. It may have happened but I'm guessing it's pretty rare. Mostly because you're probably covered by "stand your ground" and "castle doctrine" laws.
That's not really what I said

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's not really what I said

You're right. I apologize for wording my response poorly. What I'm getting at is I don't think that your gun will be an issue in a justified use of deadly force inside your home...which is the premise of the OP. You'd be immune from criminal prosecution and civil liability so you'd likely never be in the scenario you put forth where your gun would be scrutinized like that.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're right. I apologize for wording my response poorly. What I'm getting at is I don't think that your gun will be an issue in a justified use of deadly force inside your home...which is the premise of the OP. You'd be immune from criminal prosecution and civil liability so you'd likely never be in the scenario you put forth where your gun would be scrutinized like that.
No apology needed. What I'm saying is there is a difference in being charged, that's the DA's call, and being found guilty, that's the jury's call. Suppose it looks like you've gone over the line, just slightly, and the jury is looking at your black battle rifle, and your gillie suite, and the jury has been hand picked and they don't know the 2nd A from from the 4th of July, do you think it's possible that they might think this guy was looking for trouble. As opposed to your old model 700 deer rifle, that makes you look like a hunter, and their husband is a hunter, so you must be OK. It's perception, that's what sways a jury. With your background, you must know this. And by the way, thank you for your service.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it too late to change my answer? I think I’ll stow my shotgun away and bring out the Barrett instead. Y’all got me paranoid so I’m gonna no-scope all 12 of the burglars from the bedroom.

In all seriousness, I don’t think there’s a bad choice, any firearm is better than no firearm, so long as you don’t kill your neighbors in the process. While I will still choose my shotgun, if someone breaks in and I have my AR in my lap, I’m not gonna go change it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom