Should colleges pay athletes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scholarship or pay or both

• Total voters

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say no.

BUT might i make a suggestion: I would also say that all athletes have to show face in an accounting/financial class, no matter how good or bad they are. This way they learn what a dollar is and how to use it later in life if they are given the professional chance.

It kills me to see some of these guys in the pro’s (insert sport), be bankrupt in 2-5yrs after they are done. I give a woopty f****** doo if you want to buy a Ferrari, keep in mind the long term cost and the overall bill it takes to fund your 12,000sq ft. home yearly.

I know it’s their life and their choices but imagine if those guys could help give back to the schools, towns etc…. that to me is an example of a PROFESSIOANL athlete, not an a$$ hat that went off on a $80,000 dollar spending spree cause he can……:loser:

I've known some professional athletes personally. The unfortunate truth is that many of them come from extremely poor backgrounds. They grew up in poverty. Some of them won't listen to anyone, some are just naive and get taken advantage of by crappy relatives and friends. The same happens with music stars.

The agents/managers ought to spend more time "coaching" these stars about life in general.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Y'all realize that a tiny, tiny, tiny percent of division 1, or any level college sports schools actually profit from sports, football included. Where is the money going to come from to pay the players?

From the same places much of the support comes from now?

Moreover, most programs rely on institutional resources--in the form of student fees, general-fund transfers, and, in a few cases, state appropriations--to balance their budgets. such transfers are also rising much faster than other educational expenses. According to a recent analysis in USA Today, only seven universities generated enough outside revenue from athletics to cover their athletic costs in each of the past five years.

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Moreover, most programs rely on institutional resources--in the form of student fees, general-fund transfers, and, in a few cases, state appropriations--to balance their budgets. such transfers are also rising much faster than other educational expenses. According to a recent analysis in USA Today, only seven universities generated enough outside revenue from athletics to cover their athletic costs in each of the past five years.

Exactly my point, it would come from students who already have to pay for their tuition or us taxpayers. A ESPN article out recently has the same approximate result as the article you poster. So in order to pay athletes who are already getting FREE RIDES, we would have to pay more taxes (state appropriations, other students would pay it (student fees), or it would be taken from other departments (general fund transfers).

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Why does it have to come from a third party rather than the party that the players are generating revenue for?

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly my point, it would come from students who already have to pay for their tuition or us taxpayers. A ESPN article out recently has the same approximate result as the article you poster. So in order to pay athletes who are already getting FREE RIDES, we would have to pay more taxes (state appropriations, other students would pay it (student fees), or it would be taken from other departments (general fund transfers).

Yes, and since only seven programs are paying for themselves it kind of pops that athletics generate revenue for the school bubble huh?
Somebody's got to pay for the bread and circuses because apparently we can't do without them.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who says we're not? There are some amazing programs at our state's universities--if you want to go into veterinary medicine, you go to a top-flight school in Stillwater. If you want to be anybody in mesoscale meteorology (or in the NWS), you go to a top-flight school in Norman.

And what defines a "top level scholar," anyway? Is someone who gets straight As and is awarded a PhD in (Insert Social Group Here) Studies a "top scholar?" If we assume that someone who gets straight As and graduates with a PhD in Electrical Engineering is a "top scholar," what does he contribute to the state if he takes those talents and takes a high-paying job out on the coast?

There's also the practical side--where do you get the funding for the academic side of things without the athletics programs bringing donors' money into the universities? I don't know about OSU, but the state of Oklahoma is a minority funder of OU; most of its money comes from private sources.

You forgot about Petroleum Engineering and Business degrees from the Top Flight school in the North East part of the state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom