Should every felony conviction be a life sentence?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every felony committed which results in a death by a gun of any kind should be a death sentence, no questions asked. And, the appeals process should be streamlined to prevent the extreme delays before the execution takes place.

However, it is just much easier for the liberals to tie the process up in red tape for year after year.
I've brought these two points up before, and I'll do it again every time this comes up.

1. QUIT FOCUSING ON THE TOOL!
Murder is murder is murder is murder. Haven't we complained about the media focusing on guns and ignoring other weapons that are used to murder? DO you really want to treat "knife crime" different from "gun crime?" NO! Violence committed with a weapon should be handled the same way, no matter the weapon.

2. DON'T RUSH THE DEATH PENALTY
Those who want to "streamline the appeals process" for capital crimes would do well to take a close look at The Innocence Project. Of the 300 people exonerated in the last few years, 18 of them were on death row. 18 people were scheduled to be killed by the State for crimes they didn't commit. Let that sink in. And in some cases that are still in the system, the prosecution is fighting the use of DNA to exonerate people.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just to stir the pot here a bit... Where in the second amendment does it specify that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless they have committed a crime? Does someone who has committed a crime have any less right to effectively defend themselves from a attacker or tyrannical government?

Does that mean that I think murderers should all have free access to legal firearms? No, I think they should be dead after they are convicted of murder and they never would have the opportunity to hurt anyone again. I think a lot of the problem is in the justice system. A habitual so called "violent" offender should never see the light of day after being convicted.

If there are people walking free in society that we are so afraid of having a gun there are two questions I want to ask. 1. Why are they walking free in the first place? 2. If they are so dangerous to bar them from having a firearm what good is that really going to do? Do you really think they are going to abide by the law and not be able to carry out violence?

Criminals are by definition law breakers...

Looking in the wrong place. The answer is in the Fifth Amendment.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

With due process, you can be deprived of life, liberty and property.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, I agree that if you don't want the conviction, don't commit the crime. To do otherwise is asking for it.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but I was thinking that I read somewhere that after a felon finishes one's sentence and stays clean for a certain period of time (I'm thinking it was 10 years) then one can appeal to the Governor of the state or President of the U.S. and request a pardon. That was one of the sticking points when Bill Clinton "pardoned" Mark Rich of his crimes here in America. The issue there was that Rich hadn't served a sentence.

So, if what I've just mentioned is true, then I guess the loss of freedom to own a firearm is NOT a life sentence unless the criminal continues to commit crimes and not be eligible for a pardon.

rsc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a somewhat true, but the federal government has stated that it refuses to hear any petitions to reinstate gun rights after a Federal conviction. State felony restrictions 'may' be eligeable to be lifted depending on the state and offense.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding was that the actual process to regain gun rights has never been codified, and the BATFE has never been given the funds to do it.

"Yes, you can do it, but we won't tell you how, and we don't have the people to do it."

Latest posts

Top Bottom