sig hammer fired question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srice425

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i just bought my first sig. a p229r. i have a glock 23, 27 and a kahr pm9.

with the sig being the first gun w/ an external hammer fired action, i have a question about it. i have heard that the sig guns are extremely reliable, so forgive me if it sounds stupid...

if debris such as mud, sand, foreign object, etc gets into the hammer area. can it fail to fire? i was just wondering about the reliablility of having an hammer fired vs a striker fire... whatever term you like to use for it.

wufee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not qualified to give you an opinion, but I've had a Sig in 45acp for about 5 years and really like shooting it. Very nice trigger. I know that Glock advertises and shows vids of putting their weapons in mud and sand. It makes for sensational tv, but I'm a little long in the tooth and never have had one of my guns in a mudhole. BTW, I've got 3 glocks and are quite fond of them.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i just bought my first sig. a p229r. i have a glock 23, 27 and a kahr pm9.

with the sig being the first gun w/ an external hammer fired action, i have a question about it. i have heard that the sig guns are extremely reliable, so forgive me if it sounds stupid...

if debris such as mud, sand, foreign object, etc gets into the hammer area. can it fail to fire? i was just wondering about the reliablility of having an hammer fired vs a striker fire... whatever term you like to use for it.

Yeah - it can make it extremely unreliable. You should give it to me so you don't get hurt when it goes click instead of bang :)

My P226 has been to 850rds with no cleaning and mags dropped in a sandy/dirty area (and the gun laid down on the ground more than a few times) and it never failed other than the mags were so gritty, they wouldn't hold the slide back on the last round (they were filled with dirt and one of them had a spider in it when I finally cleaned them).

Strikers get dirty too - dirt and heat are the enemies of functioning firearms (or most machines for that matter), so if you got enough dirt in it, it might eventually fail, but I've never found that point with any of the Sigs I own.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SIG P225, round count, way past 2K, will still keep all rounds inside 8" plate at 25yds. Except for my 3rd Generation S&W's its one of the most reliable handguns I have. Would trust my life to it any day!!!!!
P225 next to a friends G23
[Broken External Image]
Shooting the P225
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1160.jpg

Target after shooting P225
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_DSCN1167.jpg

In all her glory
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_P225.jpg

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the very entertaining thread! I found it highly amusing. Why?

I'm old enough to remember when the Glock first appeared, and everyone was worried they could not possibly be as reliable as the 1911s and the SIGs.

You know what? In the US Army tests for the 9mm replacement for the 1911, the original 1911 tests were repeated with a new Colt model 1911 included as a control, and only the 1911 passed! The SIG was second in score.

That was the wrong answer politically, so the Army was told to repeat the test. Same results. The Beretta was finally picked as quid pro quo for Italy buying the F 16s from us (not the reason given to the newspapers). I was in the Pentagon at the time (on a completely separate project) and heard the Army 06 tell Congress, "We could repeat the test again and the results would be the same. Just tell us which gun you want us to buy and we'll do it."

Latest posts

Top Bottom