Sig M11-A1 compared to Sig P228

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have either of these pistols? I have the M11-A1, which is essentially a P229 without rails, chambered in 9mm. However, they used to come with grips that said P228 on them, in homage to the design of original P228 which in the military, was designated the M11. I took those off and keep 'em in the original box and replaced them with a set of Hogue G-10s. In Sig's current catalog, the A1 is listed as one of the variants in the P229 series. The P228 has been discontinued.

The A1 has a Nitron coated stainless steel slide, the internals are phosphate coated (parkerized), comes with Sig night sights, and Sig's excellent Short Reset Trigger (SRT). It is a fantastic shooter. Dimensionally, the M11-A1 is about the same size as a Glock 19. I don't carry it as often as I probably should, but it is my go-to gun when I have to get out and about and may be be in a less than ideal area or whatever. I have a PJ Holsters Kydex straight drop for AIWB, and both a Canute (IWB) and a RTBA (OWB) from UBG Holsters.

• The DA trigger is about 10lbs and the SA is a very nice, crisp 4.25 lbs. Capacity is 15+1. Of the 10 mags I have with this pistol 5 are the standard 15 rounds, 4 have the plus-2 base plates, and the big long Happy Stick Magazine holds 30 rounds. Reliability? Never have I ever had a failure to function of any kind that was related to the pistol or the mags. Accuracy? Oh yeah, this pistol shoots great! It tore me away from my old Glock 19. I kinda think of the Glock as a Honda Accord; plain, simple, and totally functional. But the M11-A1 is a Corvette! The handling is excellent, and with the SRT, you can put your shots down range very accurately and very quickly! Anyways, here some pics...

• A1 right.jpg
    A1 left.jpg
    A1 with stuff.jpg

Last edited:

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 229 enhanced elite. I agree with your assessments. The SRT is a true step forward. The DA pull is a non issue. To me it is, anyway. The accuracy out of the box is great. Could hardly believe it on the first range trip. I've had less accurate 1911's. I've only put 3 or 4 different brands of ammo through it, all cheapo stuff, and all of it printed very tight groups. Come to think of it, I did put a couple mags of XTP's through it and they were nice tight groups too.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really depends on the generation of the pistol. The M11-A1 is a p229, like you said, but there are the different generations of the 229 and not all parts are compatible between them. The 228 is a 9mm only pistol, no conversion to other calibers (like some gens of the 229). Any Sigs I get that don't have an SRT in them get upgraded.

The 229 that rjbrooks posted in the classifieds is an earlier 229 with the short extractor that is typically more sought after. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that pistol will allow for caliber conversions due to the mag well size, one of the big factors in earlier gens of the 229 (9mm had a smaller mag well than the 40/357).

To be more specific, the M11-A1 is a p229-1. It's a bit of a cluster with all the gens and differences/similarities.

Latest posts

Top Bottom