Sigma Upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiewhitetail

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry im new to the handgun world and dont really have time to do the research so mabye you guys can help. I have a S&W Sigma 40 and i was wondering what is available in aftermarket upgrades mabye a lighter trigger would be nice and where on the net can i find these upgrades (prices dont matter on the net cause ill order everything through my favorite shop). Im looking for anything that will make this a better gun but no rail equipment i keep it in a fobus 24/7. Thanks guys OWT.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Sigma didn't quite receive the fanfare that I personally think it deserved. Instead it got ridiculed and criticized for being a Glock wannabee. I think the Sigma is a helluva weapon, and it's fine just like it is. Sure the trigger has the action of a gate latch, but for a carry/combat pistol, I would rather have a heavier trigger than a light one. That's the problem with firearms. Guys will take a weapon that is truly reliable as it leaves the factory and totaly screw 'em up with a damn file and a dremel tool.

Leave it alone and shoot it like it is and it will serve you well! Save the money you would spend on aftermarket crap and buy some ammo, a decent carry rig (Fobus is Latin for "****") get an extra mag or two along with a good pouch, a good quality tactical flashlight and folding knife and take a combat handgun training course.

Okiewhitetail

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys i didnt figure there would be. And as for the fobus i like it that thing serves my purpose on the farm better than any other. As for the trigger im a rifle shooter and that is a whole other world for me. Im used to gently squeezing a round off. I know the accuracy is partly because of the barrel length but would a revolver be more accurate?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use SW9VE's for intro to semi-auto trainers (yeah, REALLY basic stuff), and would love to get one with a G34 trigger: not going to happen.

I had a long talk with the MA IDPA MD who works for S&W on the potential hazard of a mod to the Sigma that does reduce the trigger pull about 1/3. (It showed up on the internet).
As long as no +P+ ammunition is shot in it, the gun functions with the mod. The failure mode if the hot ammo is shot is that the trigger does not reset because the slide returns too fast, and the gun will not fire until the slide is pulled back to reset. So, for IDPA rules, the mod is legal.
Obviously, it would be unacceptable to do this mod for a defense gun, and neither I nor S&W recommend it.

Basically, S&W designed the Sigma for standard SAAMI ammo, and when people started shooting +P+ ammo and failing to get sear resets, S&W added an extra sear return spring around the first one. Instant extra-heavy trigger pull. Remove the outer sear return spring, and you risk the sear not resetting.

old_ironsights

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some shooters report that disassembly and polishing of all contact surfaces will favorably affect trigger pull.

If your "favorite shop" has a gunsmith familiar at all with Glocks, he can do your work. Wolff has striker spring kits for the Sigma: http://gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/SmithWessonNF.html#Sigma

My only gripe - over a decade if use - was the finish on my SW40F, but Christ at H&H in OKC did his Duracoat thing and it worked out very well.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom