simple and effective fire kits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have fallen in love with paraffin impregnated Jute twine. I made about 500 feet of the stuff years ago and have been using it ever since.

Its waterproof, it takes to a spark really well if its fluffed and with burn long enough to start any thing burning.

I have taken to using about 10 feet and a small piece of fatwood and wrapping them together These two things coupled with whatever igniting source you want and you can have one hell of a fire going on a very short amount of time.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am sorry I should have explained it.

I use a double boiler and melt the paraffin wax. I then place the jute twine in and swish it around until its good and soaked. I pull it out and let it dry. VIOLA! Its still plyable and will act as cordage if you need it too.

No. Dryer lint just acts like cotton candy. it hardens up and wont burn. Use cotton balls or mop strands. ( the real industrial style mops with the raggedy Ann style hair.)

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, dryer lint will work if you make damn sure it's 100% cotton lint. Any polyester in it and it balls up like Langston says. We made some by cleaning the lint trap real well and doing several loads of bath sheet towels. It packs to almost nothing and takes a spark, well. What it doesn't do is last long. The cotton ball/Vaseline trick works pretty good. I've found that a luggage size bottle of hand sanitizer works great and it is dual use, too. Just a squirt and a spark, poof!

Latest posts

Top Bottom