Skunks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When it's necessary to dispatch skunks, I've had good luck with head shots from a shotgun. None have sprayed yet, either before, during or after. I handle them very gently after, in a nice scoop shovel.

Your high energy rifle may be causing too much hydrostatic disturbance inside the critters, thus the air fragrance change following.

soonerbyx

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
angsniper- I placed the trap outside the barn for smell reasons. Our dogs have learned to avoid skunks but will bark enough to provoke spraying. I can see the trap from our patio and shoot them in the morning from the corral rail, about 30 yards away.

Interesting that the 17HMR failed for the first time this morning. It either deflected from rain or blew up on cage wire. The second shot worked as intended. I really love the little Hornady. Best pest gun I've had. Less worry about shoot through and the effects are instant if I do my part. Shot a feral dog with it last year. Head shot dropped it like a rock and upon closer inspection, no exit wound. Gonna have to try the 20gr controlled expansion ammo on larger critters.

UnSafe,

I too love the HMR round. My Savage is my rifle of choice and have taken many coyotes on the in-laws land in east texas. The 20gr round can usually provide a through and through one shot drop. I do like the explosiveness of the 15.5gr and 17gr rounds though!

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you let them swim until they fall asleep you can get them out of the cage easily with no smell. Then you can lay them gently in the forest to wake up and go on about their business.
That's the best PC description/method of drowning the sorryazz critters that I've heard. I like it!!!
I say kill every skunk, possum and dilly in the woods (and town).
And unless you've collided with a deer while driving you may not understand this, but I hope the deer hunters kill every deer in the state this year. They're nothing but another nuisance IMO.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look mom, kittens!

i.imgur.com_G8m0D.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom