Slug loads ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner2.0

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Ok , there is a old thread on castbots or one of the other forums about this ,but no solid comments either way for or against doing it . 1oz of #8 and 1oz slug should be the same going down the barrel.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I recall, it also has to do with the diameter of the slug, and if it is a rifled barrel or smoothbore. Simply because shot does not “seal” against the bore as tight as a bore sized slug, or a slug that is engaging rifling through the barrel. Largely to do with shot being able to be compressed in the bore and solid slugs not being able to do so as easily. It has been a while since I reviewed slug data online, but I do recall encountering a few places that indicated a pressure spike when going from shot to a solid slug.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I’ve gathered through reading and watching videos online, generally yes you can use load data interchangeably with shot/slugs/buckshot/etc, based on weight.

As mopar mentioned there is potential for pressure spikes with the solid projectile. So stick to the lower end of powder charges especially while experimenting

I’d say be reasonable and use a strong modern action firearm. Cylinder choke. Put the slug in a plastic wad/shotcup. Wear your safety glasses and maybe some leather gloves. You’ll be fine

Paul Box

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Okay this has been buggin' me for a week now so I've just got to chime in.

You "CAN" do whatever you like but I would not attempt to do this ever.

There's just too many variables in your question that have not been addressed.
Just changing primers from a CCI to a Federal can change pressures almost by 2000.

Get some "KNOWN" data and work from there.
For more than just these reasons.

If you don't believe me cross compare load data for the 525gr. Lyman (approx 1-3/16oz.) wad-slug with shot loads using the same powder, primer, wad, and hull for 1-1/8oz. and 1-1/4oz. shot load data and you will clearly see that the slug loads require a higher powder charge to produce the same pressures.
What causes this is a phenomenon known as "shot set back" where a mass of small balls (shot load) acts like a fluid and deflects the chamber pressure applied from below in all directions and makes for some very stiff side wall pressure forces and friction during firing that a slug don't have near as much of. Granted you can get yourself into trouble using too fast of powders and getting pressure spikes from some of the "snappier" shot load powders with slugs that you wouldn't get with a shot load during the initial ignition cycle when all the components are still in the hull because the slug doesn't have as much "give" as loose shot. But as long as you stick to slower "field load" powders it works just fine.

There are lots of slug load recipes available, so using shotshell load data is never the first alternative. Also, the "1 oz is 1 oz" theory doesn't even apply to loading shotshells, if you compare recommended powder charges for 1 oz loads of #8 to #4 or to #00 buckshot. The physics are different, with different amounts, weights, and diameters of the pellets making up your 1 oz. load, and if you are shooting one "pellet" that weighs an ounce, then that will act differently and require a different charge than any other setup.
Make it into a longer, smaller diameter slug in a plastic "bootie" (Sabot Slugs) and you have yet another set of physics to contend with, and therefore yet another set of recipes to develop.
Having played these games for a while, my usual advice to folks contemplating a first "roll your own" adventure is to start with known components and tried and tested loadings first, and stay away from wildcatting or high performance at least with shotguns recipes until you have had plenty of practice doing the conventional stuff.

I would think that just the feet per second change going from a 1100 fps to a common slug recipe running 1500 fps would be too detrimental to your accuracy. Although "Pressures" are the key to this question.

There I think I feel better now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom