Smith and Wesson 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeff Quinn (Gun Blast) has no problems with them. Seems to like them... "The external extractor on the SW1911 is an improvement over the earlier design. Before some of you want to slay me for blasphemy, remember that John Browning himself abandoned the internal extractor in his later pistol designs, in favor of the external extractor."

http://www.gunblast.com/SW1911.htm

He goes on..."For a serious 1911 .45 auto that is built like a custom gun right out of the box, I highly recommend the SW1911."

Sounds like its good to go!

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one that I thought would just be a range piece, but I've shot it at a couple of matches. No failures. Wonderful gun, and the external extractor is used almost (>99%) universally in all firearms with such a necessity.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
S&W has PERFECTED the use of an external extractor. Buy with COMPLETE confidence...

That's not true.

S&W has had issues with their smaller extractor'ed guns under high round counts.

As quoted by Hilton Yam...

The S&W 1911 is a good value for the money, but some samples of the guns exhibit tolerance stacking which leaves the extractor sitting too high in relation to the cartridge rim. This causes the cartridge rim to get pulled off the extractor hook during barrel linkdown. The extractor loses grip on the casing, resulting in issues with extraction and ejection - commonly seen as erratic ejection patterns or stovepipes. The problem is not apparent in new guns or guns with relatively low round counts (less than 5000 rounds), which is why most shooters tend to do ok with the guns. Further, most shooters do not realize that the gun is borderline in functioning if the empty cases are ejecting from the gun - albeit in a haphazard pattern, to include straight up, to the left, over their head, or straight out in front of the gun. A gun that exhibits such flawed ejection patterns is not "flawless" or "working just fine", and is typically waiting to spring bigger problems on its user. A new extractor doesn't typically cure the issue, as the accumulated wear compounds the tolerance stacking problem.

Now if you look at the NEW E-series and the Pro Series their extractors are MUCH larger like the size of Sig's. SO S&W seems to have fixed their problematic design but when Yam tested one of the new ones the extractor retainer pin fell out..... so he staked it I believe. Not GTG IMO but YMMV.