Smith & Wesson 357 Mag Information?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
with the hysteria, I do not imagine there to be many deals, but they can be found if a guy shops and knows what to pay.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes guns are priced to cover the cost of the table, but you can find guns that pawn shops want to unload, Thats where you might find a deal.
Warning though...A "deal" may have a warn out barrel, worn out internal parts, "home built gunsmithing" and/or mis-matched parts.
If you find a Smith 27-2 then buy it.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, pawn shops are out there, they just seem to make me a little leery with the guns they have. I'm just about resolved that due to the hysteria ssgrock mentions, which I've been a part of I guess, prices are going to stay up for a while.

Ran across a 65-4 I'm guessing is at a pawn shop, for $450. Saw another really good looking 66 for $600, private owner. Gotta factor in tax and any FFL charges I suppose.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I found a revolver, not exactly what I was looking for but I think I'll be happy with it. If not, there's always resale.
I picked up a used Ruger GP100, 357 mag with 6" barrel. Built in 2012, was told about 50 total rounds through it, looks new, a few marks on the wheel, but otherwise, no blemishes anywhere. Got it with Hogue grips, hard case and original papers and manual for $500. It looks like a cannon, haven't fired it yet, waiting for the weekend. It is heavy, hopefully I won't be disappointed.
Thanks for all the input.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Droff, I got here a little late. I was gonna say that if you hadn't ever fired a .357, do so before you buy one. And, wear hearing protection.

Too late on the first suggestion, but consider the second.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i echo what ronny said. the 357 compared to good 38 defensive ammo is a personal choice. 357 in the house can render you deaf and blind from the flash. i only carry 357 when out of the house,38 at home.