Smooth bore 44

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been going over the intardnet like an armadillo in a pile of leaves looking for this object of my peculiar thinking. What I’m looking for is a smooth bore barrel for a Glock G44 to shoot rimfire shot shells. I don’t know if they would even piss of a snake, mostly pygmy rattlers around here, but thought it could be handy and keep projos close regardless of direction. I tried years ago shooting wood bees out of a rail fence and with the rifling they weren’t effective beyond mere inches. Anyone ran across such a thing?

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that would be considered a short barreled shotgun and you'd need an NFA stamp. I could be wrong...
Very well could be right. I know Henry came out with their Garden gun in the last couple of years. I had looked for one of those smooth bore .22s from the fifties and 60s when they had mini skeet. I can tell you for a fact I missed that boat. 😳

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going to suggest a 410 Shockwave, but they want an arm and leg for one, regular pump would be much cheaper.

Even seen a few of these around lately. 9mm Flobert
923898.jpg

Last edited:

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I’m entirely too pretty for prison I’ll just write it off as a figment of a free country. I just wanted something handy enough to keep with me while working outside.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I’m entirely too pretty for prison I’ll just write it off as a figment of a free country. I just wanted something handy enough to keep with me while working outside.
I've played with rat shot in several pistols. The CCI in .45 ACP put a 12" pattern of shot on the side of an old barn that has collapsed at 5 paces. I'd think that used at snake distances it would be very effective.
9MM was everywhere, with huge holes. The .22 that uses #12 shot is pretty ineffective on anything but wood bees at a few feet.
Taurus Judge with .410, using 7.5 shot is really effective at snake ranges. Especially if one runs the 3" model with extra pellets.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thought is one that I keep going back and forth on. Jumping through the hoops and paying for the tax stamp then having a revolver turned into a smooth bore. Just have to decide which one. 38/357, 44, or a Governor 45/410.

ATF, smooth bore hand guns
Smooth-Bore, Shot-Revolver
Image of a smooth bore shot revolver
Notice: All "Any Other Weapons" have a mandatory tax of $200.00 for making. Transfer of an "Any Other Weapons" is an additional $5.00.

Classification: Any Other Weapon

Distinctive Characteristics: A revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire shot shells.

Rate of Transfer Tax: $5.00

Latest posts

Top Bottom