snowmans revenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha - my dad was telling me about when he was younger, he was riding in a car with some friends and the driver was driving over people's mailboxes (just to be a jerk I guess). They got to one mailbox that had been built around a steel pipe (like an 8" or 10" pipe) that was filled with concrete and it destroyed their car and immediately stopped them.

I think it wasn't too long after that incident that the law passed stating that you couldn't build rigid mailboxes in case someone hit them on accident.

I thought that was hilarious.

My dad's buddy tells a tale of being 14-15 and drunk in the back seat of an older friends Chevy, out riding around. They drove by the house of the school principle and caught him doing yard work. He drunkenly hung out the window to curse the principle, and was promptly rewarded with a mailbox to the side of the face at about 40 mile an hour. If it wasn't an old rickety mailbox it probably would have killed him. It bloodied him and threw him for a loop, and he claims he didn't get drunk for a long time after that.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha - my dad was telling me about when he was younger, he was riding in a car with some friends and the driver was driving over people's mailboxes (just to be a jerk I guess). They got to one mailbox that had been built around a steel pipe (like an 8" or 10" pipe) that was filled with concrete and it destroyed their car and immediately stopped them.

I've heard all sorts of stories about suits coming from reinforced mailboxes causing injury/death. I don't know if there is any truth to them. I can't possibly see how someone would let that stand up in court, but I can definitely some idiots trying to sue for it.

Personally, I say one or more less morons diluting the gene pool.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about the large brick mailboxes?

I wondered that same thing - I don't know that much about it, just what I've heard from folks who don't know anymore (maybe its an urban legend).

If I had to guess, I'd say it was a decision made in civil court and not a law necessarily (possibly a city ordinance).

Latest posts

Top Bottom