So I Did a Car Thing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just took our Hyundai Tuscan to the dealership in in Stillwater today on a trailer.
We got a notice of a class action lawsuit about 5 months ago.
Apparently the company built a zillion short blocks and never cleaned the machining debris from them.
Engine’s failing everywhere.
Hopefully the suit is going to be honored as our vehicle just put up the code for an engine knock and used 1.5 quarts of oil since the last oil change
most manufactures state that a quart of oil consumption every 1000 miles is within spec... good luck

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a car guy by any stretch of the imagination, but my wife and I just changed the Ignition Coils on my daughters car. It had been rough idling while braking and the check engine light had come on, so I hooked up an ODB2 reader to it and figure out a cylinder was intermittently missing. It recommended changing the ignition coils, so off to youtube I went to see how hard it was. Turns out it's even easier to do than change a spark plug (you pull the coils out to do that), so I ordered some from Amazon. I priced them locally, but they were about $80 to $90 a piece at autozone and $70 for four on Amazon. Luckily my wife could break the bolts free, to remove them, as my arthritis makes that hard for me. I had bought a 10mm drill socket adapter, just in case, but didn't need it. So yay for saving a few hundred bucks, having a repair shop do it. We found out by reading some posts online, that using Eco driving mode can cause Hyundai Elantras to develop bad coils, so we made sure my daughter understood not to use that mode anymore.
clapping penguin.gif

Now, can you fix my snubber on my truck?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On that debris note Comp cams lifters need to be taken apart and cleaned out.
Yea I know they probably do not make their own lifters.

Many Holley carbs and Holley knockoff's have machine debris in them.
It sucks when passages are in the .008" area.

On a brighter note my 1995 Corolla has officially matched the miles i put on my 1982 Mustang inline 6.
376,000 miles. Engine and trans have never been apart other than valve cover gasket and timing belts and filter changes.
I will say this the Corolla has held up 10x better interior and body wise than the Ford.
I like some Fords.
I did not put any parts on that Ford until 300,000 miles.
Starter went out.

I ran the original spark plugs for all those miles as an experiment .. just cleaned and regapped them.

Parted the car out when i was finished with it and the rack went on my Nova.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
most manufactures state that a quart of oil consumption every 1000 miles is within spec... good luck
With 1.5 quarts in a month, should be good to go. Excessive. LOL.
Here is the kicker. The service guy told me that all the oil changes have to be done where carfax can register them. The car used to be an enterprise rental car that the In-laws bought before they both aged and passed away. Those records are probably enough.
It was driven very little. We have had it long enough for two oil changes, but it was by a guy that does them in his shop and has been doing oil changes for over 30 years, but doubt it goes to carfax.
I'm sure he will be happy to make sure we have the correct records to verify the oil has been changed on time.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my 1995 Corolla manual it stated 1/2 a quart of oil will be consumed every 3000 miles and to change the oil every 3000 miles.

Like clock work at 3000 miles it would be a quart down.

I built 2 ford 302 engines one the bored and honed with deck plates installed tha mimick the cylinder head being bolted down to the block.

It will actually pull the cylinders out of round.
With Torque plates used the engine did not use any oil.
The other engine with same rings and pistons and heads and cam used 1 quart at 3000 miles.

How bad out of round and how bad is the oil ring seal or valve guide clearance to cause 1 quart in 1000 miles.

JUNK!

Maybe very thin cylinder walls.
Maybe they run these engines too hot.
195 max and sometimes my stuff may see 200° F.
I have zero qualms with 160°

Before you say engine wear happens with low temps i will say over way over 400,000 miles on my favorite 1969 300HP 350 No ring ridge and standard bearings and stock bore.
It has ran over 300,000 miles for me and temps stay in the 130-160 for 90% of the time.

So that cold engine and wear I do not buy into.
Good oils and filters.

If I had to deal with 1 quart for 1000 miles I would stick in some T6 Rotella 15-40 and see what happens.
I would also change the Thermostat for a 180°

That is just my old school thinking.

I had a 1994 gm truck with 5.3 given to me that only needed detailed and a water pump replaced.
I wanted nothing to do with that LS in my yard and quickly sold it.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotta be careful on Rock Auto, some of their parts are incorrect, and you don't get a full refund even though they "sold you the wrong part" and claimed it was correct.
Yip that and there is no way to call them if there is a problem. Won’t return a part of the package is not pristine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom