So now the Apache are upset that Bin Laden's code name for the rade was Geronimo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess this means I'm the only American Indian here then. Some people will never get it. Geronimo had honor and courage and nobility, all traits which OBL lacked.

They could have just as easily named him Moses (okay, so maybe we only spent 10 years wandering around in the desert looking for OBL, and not 40, but you get the idea), or Jesus Christ, or George Washington, or Robert E. Lee. But they didn't, because that thought would never enter their mind. But the poor mis guided rebel Indian who wouldn't lay down and become "civilized" like all the good white Christian farmers, that one's fair game.

I'm not Apache, but I did find it a bit offensive that they used the name Geronimo for any part of this mission.

ouhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They were upset because his name (Geronimo) was used and associated with Bin Laden, a mass murder, Bloody Slaughterer of thousands. Hey I'm a Native American Indian it didn't bother me one bit, hell people have been using geronimo for years when they would jump out of plains, off rock bluffs into lakes, off diving boards etc... They just need to join us in 2011 because I'm pretty sure Geronimo could care less how many times his name is used and what for!! It's all great to teach your kids, grandkids about the past, how bad Indians were treated, Land stolen, Trail of Tears etc... be proud of your past, always remember what they had to go through but that was over 100 yrs ago. Geeesh let it go!

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but Geronimo was not his name, it was a nickname given to him by non-Indians....his real name was Goyakhla or something.

So the Apaches are upset about what exactly? That we used a name that wasn't his name?

Correct, another tidbit. he was a prisoner of the United States and died as a prisoner too.

I dont see any significance in using the name, in fact I can see it as being honorous to use the name for one of most important militant missions in modern time. Then name has also been accepted as interjection for instance "a battle cry used by paratroopers, especially during world War II, on jumping from a plane."

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some people will never get it. Geronimo had honor and courage and nobility, all traits which OBL lacked.

Yes some people will never get it. Geronimo was not a code name for Osama. Those are all traits of Seal Team 6 and the mission they were sent on. Nobody was trying to disrespect any Indians. Some people just want some attention. Speaking of attention that looney toon that was caught with night vision a pistol and a sword last year looking for Osama apparantly wants a share of the reward money for doing nothing.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess this means I'm the only American Indian here then. Some people will never get it. Geronimo had honor and courage and nobility, all traits which OBL lacked.

Quit being so offended. Geronimo wasn't his American Indian name....why are you so attached to his non-Indian name?

stewartglock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes some people will never get it. Geronimo was not a code name for Osama. Those are all traits of Seal Team 6 and the mission they were sent on. Nobody was trying to disrespect any Indians. Some people just want some attention. Speaking of attention that looney toon that was caught with night vision a pistol and a sword last year looking for Osama apparantly wants a share of the reward money for doing nothing.

Well he IS the one that flushed Osama out of the mountains....so he claims.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody has it quite right. Geronimo was the code word to use to signify that Usama was killed, which is why the S.E.A.L.s Commander reported on the radio, "For God and Country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo". With this being the case, I think the Indians should be proud that Geronimo was a code word used to signify success.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They could have just as easily named him Moses (okay, so maybe we only spent 10 years wandering around in the desert looking for OBL, and not 40, but you get the idea), or Jesus Christ, or George Washington, or Robert E. Lee. But they didn't, because that thought would never enter their mind. But the poor mis guided rebel Indian who wouldn't lay down and become "civilized" like all the good white Christian farmers, that one's fair game.

I'm not Apache, but I did find it a bit offensive that they used the name Geronimo for any part of this mission.

Perhaps you should review the details of the way the word was used.

So far it looks like this:
1. Someone used the word Geronimo in an OBL mission
2. Do I have any details about it? No.
WELL
Get offended anyway, claim I'm the only Indian.

Latest posts

Top Bottom