So what bows are you guys shooting at the moment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I posted in the General Discussion section a week or so ago about possibly getting an Archery / Bow Hunting section. I was informed that most of the bow talk gets posted here in this section. I did some shootin last week when it was nice out and there was pretty much no wind. I usually shoot the most at 50 and 60 yards. This time I moved back to 70 yards and the pic is a group from there. I dont have a pin at that distance, so I just had to hold over about a foot. That was with my Diamond Liberty which is the one on the right.

I just picked up the other bow yesterday. I only shot it a few times today just to try it out since it was so windy.

The left one is a Mathews Monster XLR8. I havent had a chance to go by the bow shop and check the poundage and the speed. It says 60 to 70lbs, so Ill max it out to 70, but some bows will sometimes be a little over their max. The arrows that came with it I need to get weighed as well. I think they may be a little light for the monster, so Ill likely use my old arrows, that I know weigh 398gr and have a stiffer spine.

Heres the specs

2007 Diamond Liberty 70lb 29" draw. Chrono'd 3 shots last weekend at 276, 277, 277.
TruGlo 5 pin sight
Blue G5 3/16" peep
NAP Apache rest
Arrows are Beeman ICS Hunter 340's weighing 398gr w/ 85gr fieldtip

Mathews Monster XLR8
HHA Optimizer Sight
Red G5 peep, 1/4" I think
Trophy Ridge Pro Shot Whisker Biscuit. I plan on changing this to some type of drop away rest. Maybe a Ripcord.
Arrows are Easton Flatline 400's, weight unknown at this time.

i1219.photobucket.com_albums_dd431_Abs0luteEviL_bows2.jpg

i1219.photobucket.com_albums_dd431_Abs0luteEviL_70yds.jpg

As the title says, Id like to see what everyone else is shooting and pics if possible.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hoyt Alphamax 32" half&half @ 28.5" & 69#, Spot Hawg, QAD Ultra Pro, Easton FMJ's with G5 T3's

The local wild piggys hate when it shows up in the woods.....

This big fella tipped the scales at 220#

i566.photobucket.com_albums_ss108_Huckelberry75_IMG_0669.jpg

i566.photobucket.com_albums_ss108_Huckelberry75_IMG_0673.jpg

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bowtech 101st Airborne, Bowtech Guardian and Mathews Q2XL. It's hard to find a bow in my draw length. I'm shooting GoldTip arrows and the when I chrono'd the 101st, my full length, full weight, fully fletched hunting arrows were pushing 301 fps. I don't know what poundage I'm at. The Guardian chrono'd at 284 and I haven't chrono'd the Mathews. I thought the Mathews Q2XL was the smoothest, quietest bow made until I bought the Guardian.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a Mathews Drenalin, set at 69#, Spott Hawg sight, Whisker Biscuit, Easton Axis arrows tipped with G5 Montec's. I'll have to snap a couple pics

Mathews Monster XLR8
HHA Optimizer Sight
Red G5 peep, 1/4" I think
Trophy Ridge Pro Shot Whisker Biscuit. I plan on changing this to some type of drop away rest. Maybe a Ripcord.
Arrows are Easton Flatline 400's, weight unknown at this time.

What is the axle to axle length on your Monster? I've been thinking about picking up a shorter axle to axle bow for turkey hunting, seems like the shorter bows would be a better fit in a ground blind. I've been eyeballing some of the PSE's but I wouldn't shy away from another Mathews or a Hoyt.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Monster XLR8 is 33.5 ata, so its not real small, but not that big either. I thought about going with an Xforce, but I really wanted to try out the Monster for the speed. If Im not happy with it, Ill just sell it and get somethin else. Ive only shot it about 20 times, but so far I think im going to keep it.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot a TenPoint Stealth XLT.
[Broken External Image]

Here is my target at 60 yards. Wind was blowing right to left, thus the drift.
www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_IMG00002_20110811_1420.jpg

Here is the first deer I took with it.
www.hunt101.com_data_500_medium_IMG00013_20111021_0932.jpg

I just ordered my wife the new Wicked Ridge Invader HP this morning. Should be here next week! No picture of course, but here is a link to it: http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=446

JDC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with you, wish we could get an "Archery" section, archery stuff is mixed here and in the Gear section.

Here is what I am currently using, got it last year and really like it a lot.
Hoyt CRX 35
65lb, 28.5" draw
Easton Axis arrows
Crono'd 294
arrow.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom